Record Power Warning sticker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The instructions for our band saw are just stupid. It says the machine must be unplugged before opening the doors, but to change the blade the brake needs to be off, you can only disengage the brake when the machine is plugged in and switched on. Record couldn't give me a sensible answer to this nonsense
(obviously with the doors open it can't start up, and also the machine won't start up with the emergency stop depressed, but all the same the machine has to be plugged in and 'SWITCHED ON' for the brake to come off)

I wouldn't be too worried about it being a 'knock off'. I'm in Oz and have exactly the same Warning sticker on my BS 400. I agree, that they probably ran out of stickers and hoofed it down to the local printer with a sample. Record should be on top of this though from a QC point of view. I bought a Record bandsaw and paid over the odds because of their history, reputation and their kit has never let me down. I don't need them to remind me that it is built in China.😀
PXL_20230511_064205758.jpg

It's worth bearing in mind that though Record Power is a long established and well respected Sheffield Company, like so many others, to stay competitive it's had to outsource production of machinery to China, and in fairness, makes no secret of that, so the bandsaw in question will probably have been manufactured in China to Record's specification. Here is what Record Power say on their website:

Quote:

In addition to our UK-made products, we work with carefully selected partners from across the globe to ensure we supply only the best quality products possible. Record Power products are exported to more than 30 countries worldwide.
Recent investment in our in-house manufacturing capabilities has seen a marked increase in our ranges of UK-made products, with our strategic emphasis being placed very firmly in this area. In addition, our commitment to British-made products has been recognised by our membership of the Made in Sheffield and Made in Britain organisations. Our production department now employs more than any other in the business and continues to expand in order to meet the ever-growing demand for high-quality UK-made products.

The Record Power head office, manufacturing facility and distribution centre is still located in Sheffield and from this base we also design and manufacture a growing number of Record Power and CamVac products and our in-house quality control department ensures our standards remain consistently high.

End quote.

Recordpower - Woodworking tools

Likewise, I have a small Axminster lathe, bandsaw and belt/disc sander, which were sourced from China,

I know that is so because the 'Statement of Conformity' names the Chinese company where they were manufactured. They're quite adequate for my needs and came with a three-year guarantee, with clear instruction booklets written in plain English - not 'Chinglish'. Like Record Power, Axminster, also allude to sourcing products 'from the UK and all over the world' (a euphemism for China/Far East?), we know that they also manufacture some products in house. Their statement is rather blurry and ambiguous, making no distinction between say a chisel & chuck, (UK?) or a bandsaw and lathe. (China.):

Quote:

'Whilst we source products from the UK and all over the world, we take particular pride in the manufacture of our own products at our state-of-the art facility in Axminster. From concept, design, material selection and sourcing through to prototype development, testing, quality control and finally, full on production everything is done in house. These innovative and unique tools are made from only the highest quality materials which are sourced in the UK only, so that when we say ‘Made in Britain’ we are able to truly mean it'.

End quote.

Axminster Tools - Made in Britain

The bottom line is that wherever a company's Head Office is - Germany, France, Italy, America, UK, it's no guarantee of where its products are made, nor whether thy would be any better if made on 'home soil'. What matters most is the design specification, quality control, warranty and after-sales service. If I ring Record Power, I speak to someone with a Sheffield accent - not a call centre based in India or wherever. I'm happy with that.

David.

Yep, I totally agree David. Nearly every tool in my shed is made in either China or Taiwan and the country of manufacture is clearly written on each machine. I just think that Quality Control should extend to all aspects of a machine including spelling mistakes. Maybe I'm just a pedantic old pipper. ;)

Pedantic? Quite rightly. I had a discussion years ado about spelling mistakes on a restaurant menu. The chap said they didn't matter as everyone knew what was meant, but my view was if they couldn't be bothered to spell it properly why would I presume they cared about how the meal was cooked. Likewise, I think everything counts.

Pedantic? Quite rightly. I had a discussion years ado about spelling mistakes on a restaurant menu. The chap said they didn't matter as everyone knew what was meant, but my view was if they couldn't be bothered to spell it properly why would I presume they cared about how the meal was cooked. Likewise, I think everything counts.
I have been known to complain to staff at a Café where their menu lists 'Cappuccinos' & 'Paninis' - I do get strange looks!

I have been known to complain to staff at a Café where their menu lists 'Cappuccinos' & 'Paninis' - I do get strange looks!
The french favorite is "scenarios"...as used by every TV newsreader..along with "reduce to the maximum" .

"Expresso coffee" is also very frequent, to the point where one manufacturer now sells an "Expresso machine" and "Expresso coffee pods" to go in it..

If that ain't a good reason to give it a proper inspection before too long, then I don't know what is.
I would see that sticker as a godsend rather than something displeasing.
(should you not wish to be properly displeased for a real reason later)

Be keen to see how parallel the lines would be, should you have seen some of my recent postings.
As far as I'm aware, there's very little online regarding wheel alignment, most methodologies being highly questionable practice as far as accuracy is concerned.
The usual rhetoric of beware of doing adjustments is parroted by most,
with some disregarding wheel alignment in it's entirety,
and learning how to do things effectively is scorned upon by many.
(imagine that, on a forum of all places!)

This typical ignorance could very likely lead to wearing the bore, and you'd have a hard time proving any damage isn't seen as regular wear and tear, or misuse from any company selling un-seen equipment shipped from far overseas.

Take the max rated band for the machine for instance,
which could be taken up vastly differently depending which section of employees you talk to, sales reps vs engineers.

Could go on about that, but just saying the beam don't lie, can test wheel bores beforehand, check wheel and motor alignment., and prove things for real.

Good luck with the new saw
Tom

Tom

I have an old inca euro 260 has no such safety precautions,.machine can be run with side cover off obviously not so health and safety conscious in 80's

Back