Recommendations for Trad Joinery books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on some garden stuff and if I can prove to wifey that I can do this (logstore and bin shed) I'm far more likely to be allowed more nice things
I'm keen to learn traditional joinery methods and wondered what books might be considered exemplar for a beginner
Thanks!
Pabs

Hi, I'm working on some garden stuff and if I can prove to wifey that I can do this (logstore and bin shed) I'm far more likely to be allowed more nice things
I'm keen to learn traditional joinery methods and wondered what books might be considered exemplar for a beginner
Thanks!
Pabs
Old books are better. New ones and the mags tend to be non traditional and all about buying stuff - it's a major industry.
Paul Sellers is an exception and more practical than most. Paul Sellers' Books - Books on Hand Tool Woodworking, Techniques and Ideas

thanks Jacob, i should have remembered PS - i guess wish so much on YT I'd not even thought about his!

just got the essential woodworking with handtools (y)

a couple I'd recommend are 'the essential woodworker' and 'doormaking and windowmaking' both great books, my first woodworking book was actually 'working wood 1 & 2' by sellers and it was a good one for getting started, I made all the projects in the book as well to learn the techniques.

is it traditional joinery your after( mostly doors and windows) or furniture. by traditional do you mean repro or simply using proper joints.

without being rude I reckon victorian stairbuilding and handrailing isn't really a hobby thing. even doors frames and windows would be fairly baffling tbh.

City and Guilds apprentices tend to use Brian Porter's Carpentry and Joinery. All three volumes are useful, vol 3 deals with outdoor buildings and cladding (and windows and stairs). Can pick them up for a few quid 2nd hand.

I suggest you look out for books on woodworking joints, Charles H Hayward's book is useful, "Woodwork Joints" it was first printed in the 1950's with reprints into the 80's.

I would highly recommend Charles Hayward's books: in addition to the "Woodwork Joints" already recommended he produced one called Carpentry and another called The Complete Book of Woodwork. Yes, they're a bit dated and machinery is barely mentioned, but I reckon he is unrivalled for the clarity of his descriptions and drawings. He tells you not only what the finished joint should look like but gives you a detailed description of the sequence of operations and common mistakes to be avoided. For a slightly more modern text and more pictures you might like Woodworking Techniques by Jeremy Broun or the Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual.

Back