Recommend me a good Sliding Mitre Saw or even not sliding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be in the market for a Mitre saw at some point soon. I'd be perfectly happy buying second hand but looking to spend less than £200 ideally, I know you need to pay a lot more for a good quality sliding mitre saw and to be honest except for when I build my workshop I dont see any need for me to be cutting very wide bits of timber. Recommend away!

Makita LS1013 - around £500 new but you never know.

It depends as well on the depth of cut - not just the width. The makita has a 10" blade - you can get a Bosch GCM with an 8" blade new for just over £200 but you lose the depth of cut.

IMO the order should be:

Bosch
Makita
Dewalt.

Keep an eye on ebay til you find the right deal. What are you intending to use it for? Mostly cross cutting? Or specifically for mitres? If for mitres, then it's said that fixed CMS are better at keeping accurate.

Being in the building trades, I use a DeWalt 718 with a 305mm blade for big stuf, like studding and framing. Its a big bit of kit for lugging around though. So...
I also have a makita LS 7014 which I use for small jobs like facings and skirtings or even door linings. Very light and easy to throw in the back of the pick up.
Both are excellent sliding mitre saws but each has its uses.

In the end you get what you pay for, but think what you will need it for and what you will be cutting (size wise).

I got mine cheap (Dewalt was £300 and Makita was £170) saving about £200 on each one.

Make sure you get a couple of quality blades cheap off ebay, I find new ones almost cheaper than getting them sharpened !!!

Stay away from Silverline.....its all RUBBISH !!

HTH Busy

I was looking on eBay the other day and the DW718's were going for about £400, brand new! :shock:

I've got a Bosch GCM 12 SD (Axminster now have a video on their site, by the way). It's okay but, it's not as quite as accurate as I'd like. I'm tempted to sell it and try a DeWalt at some point... I used to use one in a previous job and couldn't easily fault it.

yes I am seriously considering selling the bosch in favour of a non-slider.

I have a ryobi ems1830sc. Think it was about £350 new with a ryobi multi stand. I don't use the stand because I already have a sip mobile stand with a jockey wheel at one end. Makes it very moveable, considering the weight. Big heavy (31kgs) saw large table, large crosscut, huge angle range, very precise with a good blade. :D :D

Dewalt non sliding.

Unless you go way over your budget, you won't get a very accurate sliding one. Trust me :wink:

I have a Dewaly that cost £150 in a sale and it is shockingly accurate. My 4th saw and by far the best

Tony":2u54pd0u said:
Unless you go way over your budget, you won't get a very accurate sliding one. Trust me :wink:

For a new mitre saw at under £200 - I would go non-sliding.

If you look second hand though you will find a good slider at that price. It may just take a few weeks of watching EBay and the like.

I wonder if it's even worth having a CMS/SCMS for thos of us who have TS's?

I assume that was why you were considering swapping for a compound mitre saw, wizer? I don't think you need a slider if you have a decent table saw. But, a small "chop saw" could be handy to have set up elsewhere for mitres, etc.

I have a Delta 12? non slider and it`s ok except I hardly ever use it. When I do it`s usually only to rough cut stock down to a more managable size so I can cut it accurately on the table saw. I origionally wanted a non slider because I didn`t have room for the extra depth of the machine. Given the price difference I`m glad I didn`t given the lack of use it gets.

Back