Recommend a PCB printing service?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a PCB printing service? It’s for a one-off item (for a DIY pre-amp). I’m happy to get it done in the far east, and to get a handful made at the same time, if needs be.

I have, of course googled such services. But a recommendation from someone who has actually used a service would be very useful.

Thanks

If you can send me artwork I'll look at it - I'll PM you my email. There's a reason I have a fortune invested in PCB fab equipment. A preamp doesn't sound bad but if it's more than double sided or the traces/clearances are too fine I'll be happy to pass. The Far East can be quite attractive pricewise, but they really need to be on a batch basis or too complex for self fabrication to make them worthwhile.

There's a reason I have a fortune invested in PCB fab equipment. A preamp doesn't sound bad but if it's more than double sided or the traces/clearances are too fine I'll be happy to pass.

Interesting... What have you bought if I may ask?

I've used PCBWay on many occasions.

PCBWay are high quality, fast, helpful and astonishingly cheap. They have a special prototyping service at PCB Prototype only $5

For 10 pieces of double sided FR4, each board less than 100mm on a side, plated through, silk screened and coated.

USD 5. For 10 x 100mm square boards (or smaller). Madness!

Even 4-layer is cheap! (They go up to 14 layers) They offer a huge range of options, including HASL, ENIG and many other plating options, a large range of conformal coatings, different colours for silk screening, edge connectors, routed (non-rectangular) boards, different board materials and thicknesses, choice of via types etc

Big plus for me is the availability of SMD stencils too. They also have many other services around 3D printing and CNC etc..

Pricing is very very low, quality is high, delivery is fast and they're very helpful if your Gerbers are not right or you have questions.

Not made my own PCBs for years - just no point any more - sold all the Mega-UK kit: heated bubble tanks, UV boxes, wash tanks etc. and got rid of all the chemicals!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions; I’ve a few options to explore there, but first a conversation with @ajs.

If you can send me artwork I'll look at it - I'll PM you my email. There's a reason I have a fortune invested in PCB fab equipment. A preamp doesn't sound bad but if it's more than double sided or the traces/clearances are too fine I'll be happy to pass. The Far East can be quite attractive pricewise, but they really need to be on a batch basis or too complex for self fabrication to make them worthwhile.
Thank you very much! I will be in touch.

If you have been into electronics since the eighties then you must have noticed the decline in uk based companies and how many of the forums have either gone or survive with a much smaller membership. I used to get many boards made for prototype projects and there was a large choice of firms but now there are just a handful, as we know things have moved over to SMD and into more single chip designs. Looking back the writing was on the wall in the nineties, us engineers working in product development were all to often not seen as an asset but just an unwanted cost. I was on a project that had hit several issues and we needed a batch of boards urgently, only double sided and the largest pin count was the socket for a 160 pin Motorola 68376 CPU. Got some quotes and timescales that did not please the manager, so found another company that seemed to have a very fast turn round but at slightly more cost and so we went for it, sent out all the files and info to this asian company and a week later our boards arrived. Opened the box and we must have all looked like we were trying to catch flies, they were not just the boards but were also fully populated and made to a high standard, we only had to insert the processors. Guess who got all future work, plus we only had to provide circuit diagrams and basic layout info as they did the rest and the company bosses saved money by reducing headcount as thanks.

Thank you very much! I will be in touch.
Hmm, it's within my capabilities but I think I'll pass. There's more SMD than I anticipated and correspondingly low clearances. It I was doing that I'd probably make a few minor routing amendments to improve clearances and sneak it onto a 100x220mm board - it's a standard Eurocard size.

I'd probably reckon on two or three attempts to get a board I was truly happy with since I'm not entirely happy with the board I've been getting recently, but as board would be best part of a tenner a time it gets annoying quickly. May have to spend a little more and wait a little longer for the Far Eastern suppliers to come up with it but it's a lot fewer headaches.

Interesting... What have you bought if I may ask?
Bought stuff: precision mini pillar drill, scroll saw, microscope, various random smaller accessories e.g. handheld PCB drill, plastic/glass tools and containers & trays. Obviously the saw and scope get wider use bit it was PCBs they were bought for. I actively avoid using the drill for more general tasks to keep it accurate.

The big stuff I actually built myself since prices seem through the roof for what they are: UV exposure unit and etch tank. I posted the UV box in my introduction post, see Hello people BOM for that was around £150 once values were attached to parts already in stock, so yes a useful saving over a similar commercial unit at perhaps £400, but not if time was costed in. The web is full of people insisting you can do the job for £20 but not if you want consistent, predictable results.

Hmm, it's within my capabilities but I think I'll pass. There's more SMD than I anticipated and correspondingly low clearances. It I was doing that I'd probably make a few minor routing amendments to improve clearances and sneak it onto a 100x220mm board - it's a standard Eurocard size.

I'd probably reckon on two or three attempts to get a board I was truly happy with since I'm not entirely happy with the board I've been getting recently, but as board would be best part of a tenner a time it gets annoying quickly. May have to spend a little more and wait a little longer for the Far Eastern suppliers to come up with it but it's a lot fewer headaches.

No problem. I’ve a few good options from other’s recommendations. Thanks for taking the time to look over it!

When I was engineering I used to use Eurocircuits. Based in Belgium, Germany and Hungary. Used to turn out a good product fairly quickly. They used to have a, I think they called it, a multi-project where they would combine several low volume pcbs from different customers to reduce costs. Must admit I haven't used them since I retired in 2016.
Have fun
Martin

Can't open that link for some reason. Looking for a printing service asap
I've recently discovered Andwin Circuits https://www.andwinpcb.com/ceramic-pcb and highly recommend it. I already made a purchase there. First of all, the choice is really wide. The prices are affordable. And managers really want to help, not just sell you the product. I'm going to make my next order there again.

Latest posts

Back