Reclaimed timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day one and all.
A slightly strange question.
Does anyone know of a decent source of hardwood pallets in Yorkshire?
I make coffee and side tables from largely reclaimed timber that looks and feels like it's 'been around' and need a decent source. I already have oak and some unidentified far eastern hardwood but need a fair bit more...
David

Sounds interesting, Dave. Any pics? I wasn;t aware you could get hardwood pallets - are these common/rare?

No pics yet as only just made the first one but had orders for more!
The original oak pallet I used was literally stumbled upon and then, once I started looking I guess, I started noticing hardwood ones. These are rare compared to normal pallets but common where primarily used to carry stone for, say, builders merchants, tile shops etc.
Will post a pic of the first one shortly.
Dave

You are right they are mostly used in shipping stone over from say india so if anyone has any mates in that game have a chat, they are pippers to break down though (hammer)

Ah sunny Wallington! Was bought up there!
That's not a problem with my stuff. The nails/staples/whatever are all left in to add 'character' and to help tell a story.
That's how each piece gets its own 'provenance' although unkind folk might be tempted to call it something else; e.g. bull sh*t! ;-)

My first attempt...
BTW it is DESIGNED to look weathered and reclaimed! Honest!

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 215
I like it - very rustic, and a great use of reclaimed timber =D>

I'd have the legs a little thicker though, as they look thin compared to the chunky top. Possibly laminate 2 or 3 pieces together?

Thanks Dean.
They are the same size as the side rails actually (approx 45mm) but the corners have been softened with a router. My daughter is continually standing on it despite warnings of dire consequences from Daddy! I do know what you mean though and from this image they look a bit 'twiggy' but in life they look reasonably proportioned.
The next one I make will have real chunky legs as that's what reclaimed timber I have avail.
Dave

Hi Dave, Builders merchants are a good place to look
We have a couple in our area and they are pleased for
someone to take them away.
I use them to make models so I don't need a lot and
can be a bit choosy.
Willy.

Back