Reccomendations for a functional face shield and dustmask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, should be picking the new to me lathe this weekend, and want to get a face shield and something to stop me breathing in dust!

I have read here, and googled and none the wiser! and as usual there are the 'get the £250 all in one' to 'get some cheap goggles and a wet flannel over your nose (this may not be strictly true!)

I don't intend to be turning anything big or unstable (so no bowls/etc) as need to learn the basics, so looking for face protection (wouldn't want to ruin my amazing good looks) from probably at most small bits and bark from branches flicking off and a respirator for the dust from sanding.

I do have an old shop vac, but it is noisy as anything and not set up properly to be usable when any other tool is on
sub-category-de-vacuum-extractors.jpg
but this alone is probably not suitable.

So any recommendations? I want to avoid 'one use' dust masks, find them horrendous to use so something that is comfortable and can have the filters swapped out would be good.

Ideally looking at around £20-30 for the respirator and probably up to about £20 for the face mask. and i do understand that the cheap ones may not be much good for big items, but when the time comes i will upgrade to a beefier item!

Youre approaching this from the wrong angle. "When the time comes to upgrade your dust protection", your lungs will already be filled with the fine dust you cant see and you wont be able to walk across the room.

I've watched turners while they have been oblivious to the clouds of fine dust drifting up into their noses and mouths. if you cant wear throw away masks, then spend the money and get a full face with big filters or a battery powered blower.

£20 is not going to save your lungs.

By the way, that sip is a damn fine tool. I have one and it collects dust as well as chips, in fact everything that comes within reach of that nozzle is GONE!. You just need to work out how put the nozzle in the best place to catch the most, then your face protection will do the rest.

bought the one transatlantic recommended and will look at getting the vac rigged up sooner rather than later :)

Good boy.
I've been around long enough to know what lung disease is like, and you really dont want to hurry it along.

sunnybob":2lo88dm7 said:
Good boy.
I've been around long enough to know what lung disease is like, and you really dont want to hurry it along.
Well, took a look (working from home has its perks!) and found that where the vac is stored, it is half way between the kitchen worktop and the temporary (well for 3 years anyhow so far!) OSB board.

Also there were no braces/etc that were in the way, so out come the jigsaw (that was in the bin as the base is knackered so useless for anything that shouldnt be scratched, like the kitchen worktop that was far too late in the day to replace the section :evil: ) so chucked it the other day, and had to dig it back out (hammer) )

so some semi precise measuring, cutting and a solution that may just work! Just need to see where the lathe is going to fit and then make some sort of sucky thing where the bits will be turned.

Also i use this for the car hoover and other mucky things so it can be removed easily if need be. need to see how quieter it is in there as the filter has had a wash and drying in the sun.

tAXmWfp.jpg

I use a 3M 6000 series full face respirator. Some more money than you said you want to spend but with all the filter options it allows you're good for dust through acid vapours. You can't wear gasses with it but they do offer a frame that fits inside for prescription lenses. I wear contacts so I'm good that way. The charcoal cartridges for filtering vapours from finishes etc., continually absorb from the air when you're not using it, so to prolong their life remove them and seal in a ziplock bag or plastic container until next time. Locate a vendor near you and have them fit test the correct size to your face. One of the reasons I like this brand is that the cartridges sit close and down on the mask minimizing their interference with your sight. Some brands with the big round cat food cans get in the way. It should be apparent that full beards won't let the mask seal properly against your face. Small mustachios will be inside the sealing area. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Reusable-Fu ... B003A6HDVA

Pete

Remember that with all the protection in the world that once you finish sanding / turning or whatever you are doing to create dust that it is no good just finishing and removing the protection and carry on working in the shed as there is still loads of dust floating around it needs time to disappear.

transatlantic":28d2lbns said:
I have one of these as a face shield (it's not blue btw) that I am happy with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003A63QZW/ ... E_AMZLdp_3

+1 for this. As far as respirators go, I'm a big fan of half face masks with replaceable filters. Pretty sure Safir are bust now but I have one of these (http://www.chemiclean.co.uk/images/Safi ... ir/hp1.jpg) and I'd recommend anything along those lines.

Fundamental rules of masks - if it's not comfy, you're not going to wear it. If it doesn't seal properly, there's little point in wearing it. Address those two points and you're laughing :).

Back