Really sorry but... rounded/flat honing on chisels - uses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest, but I'm curious about the advantages/disadvantages in use. As far as sharpness goes I'm assuming both to be equally sharp.

I'm trying to get my hand sharpening up to scratch (sorry, not a good choice of words there!), so I'm somewhat rounded at the moment, this shape has been recommended for cutting out the rounded part where guitar struts get thinner as the sharp angle on the chisel gets in the way, and is certainly my experience. Recently I had to make a small recess to take a thin plate, I used a flat honed chisel (no thought behind it, happened to be the right size), I found the flat bevel very useful as a reference surface. Any thoughts on different uses with these two shapes?

Thanks,

Cheerio,

Carl

I think like most things Carl it's what works for you. I like the flatter bevel as I am used to the feel of it acting as a "reference surface" as you put it. But each to their own. I would avoid analysis, sharpen the way you wish, work the wood and see how you feel with the different approaches.
There are good guides to be found for the various methods, almost too many good guides.

We call it a belly chisel. It's not absolutely necessary for what you are trying to do. If you have a flat bevel you need to approach the strut with the chisel out of line with it - skewed.

I agree with G S Haydon. Its whatever works for you, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how we get there its the end result that matters.

Matt

Back