Re: June Box Challenge ( discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Entrants list

babylon355
Blister ( Ready )
Bodrighy
callumlovatt ( Ready )
cambournepete
chill
Chris357
Chrisp
clk230
como ( Ready )
Daven
dennisk ( Ready )
DougieH ( Ready )
duncanh
Dust Busker
Elaine ( Withdrawn )
gus3049 ( Ready )
Haldane ( Ready )
Hudson Carpentry ( Ready )
johnny.t. ( Ready )
Jonzjob ( Ready )
Jumps ( Ready )
Leo ( Ready )
liamscanlan
loz ( Ready )
maltrout512
matmac
Melinda_dd ( Ready )
miles_hot
monkeybiter ( Ready )
myturn
nev ( Ready )
not_simple_si
Oakbear
OldWood
Paul.J ( Ready )
philb88
Pvt_Ryan
RATWOOD ( Ready )
RO
Silverbirch ( Ready )
skeetoids
spasm ( Ready )
steve66
SVB
tekno.mage ( Ready )
tinytim1458
T Walton ( Ready )
TheTiddles
tpot ( Ready )
whacky
Wood spoiler ( Ready )

Regarding "lid should stay on when the box is turned upside down".

Some boxes are more suited to a sit-on lid rather than push-on. For example a box with a fine finial for lifting the lid would not feel right if the lid could not be just lifted off by the finial.

A well-fitting lid does not necessarily have to require two hands to remove it, I prefer a lid to be a snug fit but not so snug that it won't just lift off without having to hold the box with the other hand.

I concur with Mick,

I think that requirement should be removed if possible. and saved for the kitchen containers competition later in the year.

Regs
Loz

myturn":g686i95w said:
Regarding "lid should stay on when the box is turned upside down".

Some boxes are more suited to a sit-on lid rather than push-on. For example a box with a fine finial for lifting the lid would not feel right if the lid could not be just lifted off by the finial.

A well-fitting lid does not necessarily have to require two hands to remove it, I prefer a lid to be a snug fit but not so snug that it won't just lift off without having to hold the box with the other hand.

The requirements for this challenge is for the lid to stay on when inverted , You can make all your others fit how you require :wink:

Blister":1j7y5qvo said:
The requirements for this challenge is for the lid to stay on when inverted , You can make all your others fit how you require :wink:
Thank-you for listening, I'll just stick mine on with some blue-tack then :lol:

myturn":2kmihop9 said:
Blister":2kmihop9 said:

Mick

I did listen and thought :-k :-k

But decided , its easy to make a lid that's loose , you know the scenario , almost , almost , then the fatal O dear cut :evil: and a loose lid

More skill required for a interference / snug fit :wink:

Blister":3ip4bbmx said:
Mick

But decided , its easy to make a lid that's loose , you know the scenario , almost , almost , then the fatal O dear cut :evil: and a loose lid

I understand what you are saying and the reasons and agree with you, making it too loose is worse than too tight.
If it's too tight you can always make it looser but once too loose there's nothing you can do to stop it flapping about. But just right is very satisfying when it just slips on and off nicely. :mrgreen:

Blister":2y02h0d2 said:
myturn":2y02h0d2 said:
Blister":2y02h0d2 said:

Mick

But is there any way that you'll be able to tell from the photos that a lid is a good fit or not? You'll be relying on people's honesty.
Not that I mind either way.

It should be fun challenge - I don't make many boxes but I have some special wood stored away for just such a project ...

I note there is no dimension restriction.

I take it that means Gordon is allowed to introduce his lidded bowl, er I mean ashes urn, ummm biscuit barrel, ah box, yes that's it BOX.

Probably sold it now - can he enter a box bottom (bowl).

I thought I would ask on his behalf as he reckons I'm full of. .........

Pedantry! At least that's what I thought he said, but I've never liked children!

Blister":qjb8aauy said:
June Box Challenge ( Rules and Requirements )

The Monthly challenge for June is to produce a BOX

Turning boxes can be a source of considerable satisfaction because they require a certain degree of skill.

Any wood type
Any design

Have fun and think safety. Allen

I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question, as I know we are in the Wood Turning - Lathes section of the forum, and the mention to 'Turning boxes can be a source of considerable satisfaction ' in the Rules, however it also just says to produce a BOX, Any wood type, Any design.

So Does the Box have to be turned ?

DOOGYREV":1jdqbjev said:
Blister":1jdqbjev said:

The Monthly challenge for June is to produce a BOX

Turning boxes can be a source of considerable satisfaction because they require a certain degree of skill.

Any wood type
Any design

Have fun and think safety. Allen

I apologize in advance for asking a stupid question, as I know we are in the Wood Turning - Lathes section of the forum, and the mention to 'Turning boxes can be a source of considerable satisfaction ' in the Rules, however it also just says to produce a BOX, Any wood type, Any design.

So Does the Box have to be turned ?

Yes it has to be turned :wink:

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUpFcl2Nb_E

Mr Blister sir... So if it's already been asked... On my phone and it's not the best for internet surfing/reading all threads.

is different woods allowed... Eg top bottom finial... ?not segmented with lots

Blister":2x4axx6v said:
DOOGYREV":2x4axx6v said:
Blister":2x4axx6v said:

Yes it has to be turned :wink:

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUpFcl2Nb_E

Dagnammit!, Very Impressive, I will have to get a Lathe and start practicing.
In the mean time do you know if there any similar monthly wood related challenges for me to get my teeth into that are not exclusive to Turners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back