Re: CORE Tool Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
by Andyp » 02 Sep 2014, 15:33

I would have thought a sliding bevel is a must have. Not sure of a decent make but I know that mine is a PITA because the adjustment lever is constantly fouling the timber.
Just spotted this from over there amongst the bickering. :roll:
If properly made the lever is on hex shafted bolt which you can push out and turn in increments of 45º until the lever lies within the lie of the handle.
Hope that helps :shock:

Nah just can't be bothered to join and be banned again!
Mentioned it here because it's one of those little useful facts which can remain unknown for a long time if someone doesn't point it out. Ever helpful, that's me. :roll:

Shocking behaviour, wouldn't see that here.........: )
Although someone did say
I read this thread and it reminded me of the "other place"
Where's that new moderator they have? Can't remember his name....

On topic, I do as PP has mentioned, bit of grinding/filing and all is ok but interesting information Jacob (on the s/bevel).
But I do find on some that the apex of the blade does protrude, maybe like the one in the picture RogerP posted.

Doug B":3i0h308f said:
Jacob":3i0h308f said:
Nah just can't be bothered to join and be banned again!

You've not missed anything, it's more like the Axminster forum [-X :lol: :lol:
I posted quite a bit on that thread only to find I'd wasted my time. It was the morning after I noticed an Axminster employee was also a mod, have no further wish to join in since discovering that. Not wanting to stir, just saying it doesn't feel quite right imho ;) conflict of interest perhaps........?

Not strictly correct Coley. Someone who helped get the new forum up and running then got a part time job with Axy helping them with their product descriptions etc. no Mod decisions are made in isolation so until it becomes a real issue then I don't see there's a real need to change that status.

Rob knows to make sure anything he posts is within the bounds of not being conflicting in interest and I have no problem in reminding him of that. His original question was initially poorly framed and judged which acknowledged and apologised.

Cheers
Mark

I don't buy anything from Axminster on principle.
Not sure what the principle is but I'm sticking with it.

Mark, I think it's his good nature that is the reason for me suggesting the conflict of interest bit.
He's been a regular poster contributing/ sharing his knowledge with other forum members then gets a job with Axminster who im guessing would also like a certain amount of loyalty towards them- that's where I think the conflict might be.
Say for example someone was ranting away about an Axminster product, or poor service. Would his answer be the same from-
A, a mods point of view,
B, how it started off, a regular helpful forum member.
C, an Axminster employee who's interest must be with the business (to an extent)

Im struggling to believe the answer would be the same from all 3 different points of view. Not doubting Rob as being a top bloke whatsoever, just saying it must be difficult if he can somehow remain unbiased even though working for Axminster.
Your house, your rules which I respect ;)

Jacob":33cklxbp said:
I don't buy anything from Axminster on principle.
Not sure what the principle is but I'm sticking with it.
Cause they don't sell the fandangled sharpening jig you've always been after ? :lol:

Yes that could be it. It took me some time to track one down and it cost £2 - free post!
It actually works very well; probably the best of a bad lot. A good "angle" trainer perhaps, for the faint hearted.
I don't use it I just wanted to have a go in case I was missing something. I wasn't.

391910_140327063319_Stanley_blade_sharpening_jig_2.jpg

PS Anybody into jigs should have one of these - no problem with cambered edges or unflat stones. It really is one of the best, but only for slotted plane blades.

ColeyS1":3hi7zsv7 said:
Mark, I think it's his good nature that is the reason for me suggesting the conflict of interest bit.
He's been a regular poster contributing/ sharing his knowledge with other forum members then gets a job with Axminster who im guessing would also like a certain amount of loyalty towards them- that's where I think the conflict might be.
Say for example someone was ranting away about an Axminster product, or poor service. Would his answer be the same from-
A, a mods point of view,
B, how it started off, a regular helpful forum member.
C, an Axminster employee who's interest must be with the business (to an extent)

Im struggling to believe the answer would be the same from all 3 different points of view. Not doubting Rob as being a top bloke whatsoever, just saying it must be difficult if he can somehow remain unbiased even though working for Axminster.
Your house, your rules which I respect ;)

Hello mate

Yeah absolutely fair points to raise. I would like to think that in those circumstances Rob would take the sensible road and avoid joining in either way and that would certainly be the way I would steer him but until we get there... :)

We (the Mods 'over there' ;) ) have certainly discussed the approach to Moderation and agreed that no single person will make a call I any course of action so hopefully we can avoid anything like that but only time will tell I guess.

Cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back