Rattle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
Rarely produce anything worth shouting about, but I am really pleased with myself for this effort, first proper go at captive rings. Shamelessly borrowed the design from a proper turner on Instagram, so no credit for that. But I have a brand new niece who we’re unlikely to meet for the foreseeable, so this one’s not for keeping.

Attachments

• 621EDDB2-A084-4ED1-8AB1-D8E0B7EBC1F7.jpeg
    621EDDB2-A084-4ED1-8AB1-D8E0B7EBC1F7.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 15
Wonderful bit of really old school babieanna – I just made that word up. I wouldn’t have the faintest idea how to start making that so well done, which is a shame as I am now a proud grandfather for the first time. I shall just have to restrict myself to wooden trucks and things – can’t wait. Ian

Splendid! And built in defensive capabilities for use against nasty brothers.

Fitz

Thanks RC. No finish, just sanded to 240 grit and then red abralon which might be 320 ish. I was debating whether to use chestnut finishing oil which is certified toy safe (I think is more or less danish oil) or their food safe oil which I think is paraffin based. But in the end the one that I've copied was left bare which I think is sensible on reflection.

That looks very nice! I just looked up how to do captive rings!! did you use a ring tool?
Once you have grand kids, it's a great excuse to spend lots of time in the workshop!

Just used a 10mm parting/beading tool and a 3/8" spindle gouge. It would be substantially quicker with a dedicated tool if you were making a lot in a hurry. For me it was an interesting exercise finding a new trick with my existing tools.

I've read about some folk making their own special tool from an old Allen key. I assume the ring shape is ground in and then bevels developed so that it works like a negative rake scraper. My impression was that the hardness of these would be just about okay to be able to get away without doing any heat treatment.

Back