Rare earth magnets and Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its safe to use rare earth magnets with Oak? I know that ordinary magnets react with the tannin and cause staining, but I've no idea about the rare earth type.

Thanks,
Neil

They do contain iron (Nd2Fe14B I think) but they are nickel-coated so in theory they should be OK as long as the coating holds up - but I would feel more confident if someone here says that they have tried it and its fine!

Cheers,
Neil

How about fixing them in with epoxy to form a barrier in addition to any plating?

I've used them with Oak and had no problems. I believe you only get the dreaded black/purple staining when water comes into the equation.

Chris.

That's also my understanding Chris, I sure as hell hope it's right with what I recently built! :lol:

Like others say, they are fine unless you get them wet, in which case you have more of a problem with the oak than the magnets probably. Even then the plating on them should keep any staining problems at bay. The easily available type (shiny ones) are nickel plated quite heavily as the material itself is very delicate, like eggshells, the industrial versions like those made into motors are probably not suitable but then you'd have paid £50+ each and would be unlikely to be using them in the first place

Aidan

we use them all the time as door catches and have had no probs in 5-6 years the nickle coating is good barrier

Same here I use the nickel plated magnets for catches in oak cabinets and have had no problems at all

Thats very reassuring - thanks, everyone :)

I've used them to hold up a drop down flap on a TV cabinet. I had some tiny ones and I actually set them into an ebony plug to be on the safe side - this looks very nice but unfortunately they are a bit weedy and also don't give me any allowance for wood movement, so I want to swap them for some 19mm diameter ones I have (if I can find them :oops:). I wouldn't have enough space to use ebony around these, hence the question!

Cheers,
Neil

I don't know where you can source them from in the UK, but a couple of years back I got some from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 42348&ap=1

There are lots of restrictions on carrying strong magnets by air, so even if you know someone in the states who can help you might not be able to get them here so easily. Sorry that it's probably no help to you, but I thought I'd post the link anyway.

Ian

Whoops, just saw that you are in Ireland - a little closer to Lee Valley Tools but still not near enough. :)

Ian,

I actually got 100 magnets from http://www.kjmagnetics.com in the states so theres no problem sourcing the magnets themselves! Would thoroughly reccomend these guys, by the way - cheaper and a much better range than over here and there were no problems re: posting to Ireland.

Cheers,
Neil

What if you were to put some Danish Oil (or another kind of finish) in to the hole first before inserting the magnet?

There may be a problem if you use steel wool and wax for final finishing. Fluff from the wool will stick around the magnet and get ingrained into the wood. Best to use scotchbrite instead.

Obviously I misread your comment about not finding them Neil!

Thanks for posting the link - that's a really good selection (I don't know what I want them for, but I want some anyway).

Ian

TheTiddles":uvmr596l said:
Like others say, they are fine unless you get them wet, in which case you have more of a problem with the oak than the magnets probably.

Yes... never EVER use wire(steel) wool on oak.

DAMHIKT.

BugBear

Back