Rapid hand drills anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use one of these regularly or have it as their main user?

I recently picked up one for a snip as part of the same job lot the marking gauge without a locking mechanism was in:

dWcW7lI.jpg

The plan was to sell the two smaller ones on after sprucing them up a bit but testing the Rapid I discovered it works really well, much better than I would have expected for a single-pinion drill. It isn't the quietest but drills comfortably at the maximum diameter the chuck will take, about 6mm / 1/4", something not a few larger drills I've had won't. The jaws will also grip bits down below 0.5mm making it a cracking little user. Well chuffed for less than €1!

Here it is after a bit of TLC:

KUUaEuf.jpg

Here are the three drills I got in that job lot:

leFslg1.jpg

Wasn't as lucky with the full-size one on the right. Those in the know may recognise it as a Millers Falls which I was pleased as punch to get even in that rough state (and jammed solid). I was all set to do a thread documenting a full restoration of that one as its rarity over here makes it a bit special, but turns out it's very badly worn so not worth going to town on unfortunately.

Hi ED65,
I've got my dads pre-war Millers Falls drill but the jaws and chuck are knackered so if you want to get rid let me know.
Rob

Thanks for the offer Rob, unless I can find the other relevant spare parts was thinking it has to be a parts donor.

ED65":odc187l4 said:
Anyone use one of these regularly or have it as their main user?

I use one regularly, but it always has a countersink bit or a hex holder for screwdriver bits in it.

I used to use the 1963 GPO Stanley 803 but a couple of months ago I bought a Footprint and use that for drilling now. I also have a qualcast with a horrible black plastic handle. It works good and is comfortable but putting a plastic handle on an eggbeater just doesn't seem right to me.

I also have a Stanley Continental which I have only used in anger once, but it's nice to know a power cut won't stop me drilling through a brick wall!

ED65":b6msm1j0 said:
I was all set to do a thread documenting a full restoration of that one as its rarity over here makes it a bit special, but turns out it's very badly worn so not worth going to town on unfortunately.
Just shows what important tools these were. It's hard to get your head round the amount of hand drilling it would take to wear out such a well made tool.

BugBear

bugbear":2ct1qrj1 said:
Just shows what important tools these were. It's hard to get your head round the amount of hand drilling it would take to wear out such a well made tool.
Agreed. It is difficult to imagine quite how much use was required to do this:

u3bPkwF.jpg

The unworn idler pinion for comparison:

x12nhQE.jpg

It's amazing it still works at all! (Now that I managed to get it unjammed.)

Jaw wear on the chuck, which is a bit of a dealbreaker as far as this being a daily user:

olOvoQe.jpg

Back