Raising the spindle and tail stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All

I have another question for you, my CL3 has 6 clearance above the bed, has any one ever used riser blocks under the head and tail stock to increase the size of object they can turn, if so what did you use and how effective/safe was it.

Regards
Kevin

You should have a swiveling head stock CL3 if not then you will need to get one if you want to turn anything bigger and you will also need the outboard tool rest as well that is the only way you will be able to safely turn anything bigger

Hi Woody

Thanks for the reply, I have the CL3 with the rotating head stock, I was just wondering if I could raise the head and tail stock above the bars so that I could bring up the tail centre and still turn bigger than 12 "

When I have the variable speed conversion fitted I will be turning in front of the lathe but would only do that with an 'in balance' piece.

Regards

Kevin

at work we have a small axminster lathe that has been designed to dry things i think, this has ali blocks under the headstock, will have a look on monday.

adidat

I wouldn't raise the head & tailstock - I have a CL3 too & I wouldn't feel comfortable with it raised.
As Woody says, turn the head, I turn mine for large pieces, even unbalanced ones - just turn the speed down to begin with. The CL3 copes quite well, largest piece turned unbalanced was 20''.

I have taken the CL3 over its max 30" with large slices of logs which were totally unbalanced as Steven says turn the speed down to its Min which if my memory serves me well is 500rev but make sure it is held well on the faceplate by the way I'm not saying you should go over 30" because your motor wont last long the people who know me say I'm made LOL

looking at the cl3 on record's site, raising the head and tailstock looks easily do-able if you're machining metal. Four simple 12mm plates, four identical solid rods and secondary clamps should do a nice secure job up to three or maybe four inches. Pricewise you might be best contacting a local model engineering club or similar if you wouldn't tackle it yourself.

I used to use a CL3 for many years before I upgraded to my wivamac, and it was good for most things and I enjoyed using it.

The reasons I upgraded were to get more stability when turning larger pieces as it used to bounce and shake all over the place if the big pieces were even slightly out of balance, even with a very heavily weighted base for stability.

Also the modestly sized motor wasn't really up to the larger pieces at low speeds, it would struggle to get up to speed and even moderately heavy cuts would slow it down or stop it.

The tool rest height would need raising too if you raised the headstock and tail stock.

Personally I would choose a different lathe better suited to what you wanted to do, though the CL3 is a decent lathe within it's intended capacities.

Cheers, Paul

Back