Rage evolution mitre saw cut quality advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy F

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Rage Evolution S3 that works fine, but I only use it for rough cuts due to the tear out I get with it. I know I could improve the quality of the cuts by making a zero clearance insert, scoring the wood, using tape etc, but I wonder if anyone has any opinion on whether it is time to buy something better. I put in a new multi- material blade and the cuts are still bad and not suitable for better quality projects. Should I do all of the above and buy a different kind of blade made by another manufacturer or is it time to buy something else entirely?

Thanks

Andy

You could try a dedicated blade intended to cut wood rather than a multi purpose blades which has to - I assume to cope with wood, metal and plastic etc . If this doesn’t give you the results you’re looking for then upgrade your saw ..

I have never owned one but seem to recall that because the Evolution saws are designed to cut metal and plastic as well as wood the blade runs at a lower RPM than on a saw designed for cutting just wood..

I presume that if the blade can't run at the optimum speed for cutting wood the cuts are never going to be the best, as Phil says though Saxton blades are cheap enough so might as well give one a try.

I have never owned one but seem to recall that because the Evolution saws are designed to cut metal and plastic as well as wood the blade runs at a lower RPM than on a saw designed for cutting just wood..

I presume that if the blade can't run at the optimum speed for cutting wood the cuts are never going to be the best, as Phil says though Saxton blades are cheap enough so might as well give one a try.
If the blade doesn't run at full speed then you probably want more teeth and a slower cut...

I have an Evolution SCMS. The multi material blades are rubbish in wood. Replaced mine with a negative rake 60 tooth blade from Axminster... now cuts superbly with minimal tearout.

Edited to add - needed a converter ring from 1 inch bore to 30mm.

Last edited:
I just bought one from a house clearance......
the blade is new multi material sort and was suprised how good the cut was......
Even compared to my 305mm dia Dewalt with a 90 tooth blade.....which also gets occ use chopping up ally sections....
not good enough for picture frames but plenty good enough for ordinary joinery...
It also get used to rip up pallet wood for the kindeling ....

because its a slow rpm machine, even with a "proper blade| it will be a compromise......
good little machine tho......

I second Saxton blades, I have them on my rage , and they cut well , I also tarted up the sliding fence as it was not square.

Love my Evolution Rage but yes, I do joinery with it, not cabinet making. I'm more of a metal than a wood worker, hence my choice of saw as I need to cut 50x50 rsa etc. as well as building-joinery. If I want accuracy of an angled cut, I still use my sliding bevel rather than the markings on the rotational table.,

Also, had it 4 years now and no problems.

Back