Quiz - can you identify these accessories please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a lathe off ebay and it can with a box of bits. I'm fairly sure that these three bits are nothing to do with the lathe but would be interested if anyone knows what they are please?

This is some sort of adjustable depth stop:
bit1.jpg

This looks more like guides from something:
bit2.jpg

Very heavy flat metal plate (will be useful with sandpaper on for sharpening) but what is it from?
bit3.jpg

Thanks ... Colin

Attachments

• bit1.jpg
    bit1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 324
  • bit2.jpg
    bit2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 324
  • bit3.jpg
    bit3.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 324
The first one could have come from a mitre saw as an aid to cutting several pieces the same length.
The third one looks like an engineer's surface plate - a very flat surface used as a reference for accurate measurement.

my father has just bought an arundel lathe. On lathes.co.uk there is a different model pictured with a flat plate on, when I had a look last night http://www.lathes.co.uk/arundel/ grey one towards the bottom.

it wasnt a combination type lathe that you bought was it- that had/could have various attachments added to it?

If it was a combination machine could the second one be for holding down the work on a planer attachment? I'm guessing the curvy bits are hold-down springs.

I am very sure that the first picture is of a stop that is part of the original startrite mitre fence. The fence was provided / available for their circular saw and band saws.

The second (middle) picture is from a spindle moulder / router table. It is used to apply pressure to top and side of workpiece to hold firm against cutter head. The spring arms (the bent bits) should have a wooden plate attached. The wing nuts allow for adjustment to fit to the work piece.

AndyT":uzym3mlt said:
If it was a combination machine could the second one be for holding down the work on a planer attachment? I'm guessing the curvy bits are hold-down springs.

Andy - the lathe is a Graduate so no 'combination' attachments, it was ex School so I think a few bits from other old machines just happened to get put in the box.

rumtopf12":xqkurhdn said:
The second (middle) picture is from a spindle moulder / router table. It is used to apply pressure to top and side of workpiece to hold firm against cutter head. The spring arms (the bent bits) should have a wooden plate attached. The wing nuts allow for adjustment to fit to the work piece.

that makes sense - thx

AndyT":2vb8hs0n said:
The third one looks like an engineer's surface plate - a very flat surface used as a reference for accurate measurement.

marcros":2vb8hs0n said:
my father has just bought an arundel lathe. On lathes.co.uk there is a different model pictured with a flat plate on, when I had a look last night http://www.lathes.co.uk/arundel/ grey one towards the bottom.

it wasnt a combination type lathe that you bought was it- that had/could have various attachments added to it?

Marcros - No, not a combination lathe so no attachments expected. The flat plate doesn't have a mitre slot so I think Andy's suggestion is most likely - though it does have cylindrical bar from the middle of the short edge suggesting it should be attached to something.

phil.p":2uo2ivs8 said:
The first one is probably a horizontal stop from a small morticer.
AndyT":2uo2ivs8 said:
The first one could have come from a mitre saw as an aid to cutting several pieces the same length.
deema":2uo2ivs8 said:
I am very sure that the first picture is of a stop that is part of the original startrite mitre fence. The fence was provided / available for their circular saw and band saws.

thanks for these - all possible but I've been looking at images of old machines and haven't confirmed anything yet.

The second picture looks like shaw guards with the wooden bits missing, as rumtopf has said. They were also fitted to planers as well, I remember using a Sedgwick planer/thicknesser with Shaw guards fitted.

im almost 100% sure that last item is an engineers surface plate. something that is pretty darn close to flat and made is such a way to stop it warping.

adidat.

Wot deema said is spot on. I have the mitre guage and you have the guide rods...... :D

If you can't use them, give me a PM and we can negotiate over beer vouchers?

Sam

PS As a right cheeky barsteward,I don't half fancy the Shaw guards too! :twisted:

im almost 100% sure that last item is an engineers surface plate. something that is pretty darn close to flat and made is such a way to stop it warping.

adidat.

+1

It's not from anything. Treasure it if it is absolutely flat but protect from rust.

foxhunter":erjt3hj4 said:

adidat.

+1

It's not from anything. Treasure it if it is absolutely flat but protect from rust.

Thanks - it does seem to be very flat! I've cleaned it up and dry sprayed it ... Colin

foxhunter":28hgm3rr said:

adidat.

+1

+1

I used a thick sheet of float glass, for something like that. Using valve grinding paste, it was a good way to flatten the sole of a plane.

I can confirm that the third one is an engineers surface plate. I used to use one every day when working as a quality control inspector. As stated it is an item to be cherished and kept rust free. If it is still true then its a perfect surface for taking measurements from with dial gauges and verniers etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plate

Latest posts

Back