top slide / compound slide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertterbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using my wood lathe to perform some very rough metal turning operations you would usually associate with a metal lathe. I've been doing this by using a cheap XY table with a cheap quick change tool post. Whilst this is probably laughable for most of you, it's done what I have wanted of it and I am pleased with it :) ..however! ... I am now thinking it would be handy to have something that acts like a compound slide, that I can bolt onto the top of the XY table. Can you thinking of anything I could use? I had a look at second hand compounds on ebay, and compounds from mini lathes like https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000796363664.html, but they require the rotary bit underneath.

Oh and when I have more space, I do plan on getting a proper metal lathe.

1681048890841.png
1681048935127.png

There are a number of 'issues' that you may not have considered - - - not least of which is the 'Centre height' that you need to acheive. Adding a compound slide on top of the XY Table is likely to make it impossible to set the tools 'on centre'.

The fact that you've 'got away' with your current setup is laudable but I don't see much advantage in your new proposal. I work quite the opposite way - - - using a metal working Lathe for all materials. . . . . You'd be much better spending money on a S/H Myford 7 / S7 or similar.

@bertterbo: I have to agree with J-G on this one, even to the extent of also using a small metal working lathe for the VERY limited amount of turning up wooden components that I do.

And just as J-G say, not knowing anything at all about lathes for turning wood, I'd also guess your problem will be centre height.

But easy to check if you're not sure: An ordinary rule sitting with X-Y table mounted and the rule at zero AT THE HEIGHT of the tool in it's QCTP, measure on up to a centre in the head stock/chuck of the lathe equals how much? That's the amount you have to play with in adding any sort of "stack" as you'e suggesting.

Not having the cutting point/edge of the tool VERY close to centre height of the lathe will lead to LOTS of usually very difficult if not impossible problems in metal turning.

Currently, the xy table with the quick change tool post sits 75mm below center, so I have a block of around 75mm to bring it up to height. The quick change tool post also has some variance to dial it in.

The idea was that the compound would replace the 75mm block. So as long as its 75mm or less in height, I'm fine.

It looks like you have the Vevor cross slide (100mm high). With a 75mm riser + QCTP this can't (by metal turning standards) be a very rigid arrangement and adding a topslide isn't going to help. But I guess you know that and obviously it's working for you so far - I imagine you are taking light cuts!

Have you looked at the WM180V slide on AliExpress? It looks like the one you linked to but without the 'rotary bit'. As far as I can see it is held down by M5 screws into the base of the unit - it looks like it may be possible to make a steel sub-base which could then be attached to your cross slide.

Another avenue which might be worth exploring is the Seig C3 topslide. Arc Eurotrade sell these in their spares section. They seem to stock the basic bits (rest,slide and leadscrew), but a bit of fabrication might be needed to make a plate to mount a handwheel.

Good luck - it'll be a nice 'bodge' if you can get it going!
Bob.

It looks like you have the Vevor cross slide (100mm high). With a 75mm riser + QCTP this can't (by metal turning standards) be a very rigid arrangement and adding a topslide isn't going to help. But I guess you know that and obviously it's working for you so far - I imagine you are taking light cuts!

Have you looked at the WM180V slide on AliExpress? It looks like the one you linked to but without the 'rotary bit'. As far as I can see it is held down by M5 screws into the base of the unit - it looks like it may be possible to make a steel sub-base which could then be attached to your cross slide.

Another avenue which might be worth exploring is the Seig C3 topslide. Arc Eurotrade sell these in their spares section. They seem to stock the basic bits (rest,slide and leadscrew), but a bit of fabrication might be needed to make a plate to mount a handwheel.

Good luck - it'll be a nice 'bodge' if you can get it going!
Bob.
Thanks for that.

I am indeed only taking light cuts, and mostly in aluminium. I did test it with steel too and was surprised to see it cut pretty well (light cuts).

Currently, when I want to do a taper, I have to rotate the Vevor cross slide, which is a bit of a faff, so was trying to add something on top of the Vevor cross slide that is easier to adjust.

As I would only be using it for tapers (I think), I could always remove it for other cuts if it wasn't very ridged.

keep ur eyes skinned for a proper m/lathe....they do come up at a reasonable price.....
right now I know where there's an early 1900 flat belt lathe *motor mounted on the wall* plus what looks like a full set of back gears......plus a few cutting tools ...it's just a 200 euro's......and not a rusty wreck......
I'd have it if it were a lot older just for fun.....have 2 already......

U could always store it behind the sofa until u have room....!!!!!!!!

on occasion my wife will let me park my motorcycle in the front room.....it's not British so doesn't leak oil.....hahaha........

I was going to suggest putting the X/Y table you have on a rotary table but a quick look found 6"/150mm ones were 80mm and thicker, so too high. Then I came across a rotary/cross slide table in one. It would do what you want and be handy if you ever got a milling machine too. You might find cheaper sources with some searching.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/new-sct-rotary-table-cross-slide-combination-6-150-mm/
Pete
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Just to show that the current setup does actually work, here is something I'm working on.

I know it's not the best finish, but fine for my needs 👍🏼

Attachments

• 20230416_180849.jpg
    20230416_180849.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230416_180857.jpg
    20230416_180857.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I was going to suggest putting the X/Y table you have on a rotary table but a quick look found 6"/150mm ones were 80mm and thicker, so too high. Then I came across a rotary/cross slide table in one. It would do what you want and be handy if you ever got a milling machine too. You might find cheaper sources with some searching.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/new-sct-rotary-table-cross-slide-combination-6-150-mm/
Pete
That is so wrong as a suggestion Pete! - but I can see why you made it :)

Chronos are 'OK' in many instances but you have to be very astute - and cautious - when viewing their offerings. The dimentioned drawing for that item shows a height of 108mm but that is just the XY Table the 'Rotary' table is a separate unit which Chronos say is 80mm high but the manual details it at 77mm - I'm just pointing that out to indicate why you should be cautious!

They also state that one turn of the rotary table handle will move it 4' but since it is a 90:1 worm the true figure is 4°.

@bertterbo has not indicated the height of his current XY table but I suspect that it will be less than the 108mm of the Chronos offering which would make the 185mm total height too much to allow the addition of a tool holder to set a tool on the centre-line.

At £440 it's not a cheap item - and I would consider it not good value for money.

I've been doing some research and suggest that an easy option might well be to get a Myford Top Slide.

It could be just the top slide - without the tee slot platform - or even complete with that - which is 25.4mm thick.

Using 8mm HSS toolbits you could easily get the cutting edge within that 75mm window that you have. If you get the top slide without it's base you could easily make a base at 20mm thick and cut a 48mm Ø recess 15mm deep to accomodate the dovetale spigot.

Here's a drawing of the top-slide with the Tee-slot platform in front.

Myford Top-slide.png

I've made one side of the 20mm plate transparent so that you can see the Dovetail spigot.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Just to show that the current setup does actually work, here is something I'm working on.

I know it's not the best finish, but fine for my needs 👍🏼
Finish looks remarkably good actually. You might get it even better by using the tool at a better angle. The cutting edge really needs to meet the work at more of a right angle. Your set up, from the photo at least, looks like it is more like 45°. And for aluminium try a few drops of paraffin on the cut, makes a huge difference. I think if you are not careful you could end up spending so much on bits and pieces you could have bought a metal lathe :)

I've been doing some research and suggest that an easy option might well be to get a Myford Top Slide.

It could be just the top slide - without the tee slot platform - or even complete with that - which is 25.4mm thick.

Using 8mm HSS toolbits you could easily get the cutting edge within that 75mm window that you have. If you get the top slide without it's base you could easily make a base at 20mm thick and cut a 48mm Ø recess 15mm deep to accomodate the dovetale spigot.

Here's a drawing of the top-slide with the Tee-slot platform in front.

View attachment 157370
I've made one side of the 20mm plate transparent so that you can see the Dovetail spigot.
Thanks JG. That sounds great.

I'll keep an eye out on ebay for some second hand ones. It looks like new ones would be £200-£300 which would be too much to spend really.

Finish looks remarkably good actually. You might get it even better by using the tool at a better angle. The cutting edge really needs to meet the work at more of a right angle. Your set up, from the photo at least, looks like it is more like 45°. And for aluminium try a few drops of paraffin on the cut, makes a huge difference. I think if you are not careful you could end up spending so much on bits and pieces you could have bought a metal lathe :)
Thanks Fergie.

So far, the only thing Ive bought that I can't reuse is the tool holder. The XY table will be handy for all sorts. But yes, don't want to spend a lot more really if I can.

Sadly, its not about trying to save money by not buying a metal lathe, it's just about not having the space for one.

The OP says in a post above that his primary use for it is to cut tapers.

Clearly, the length of any taper he wishes to cut will be limited by the travel on the compound slide he installs.

Would it be possible to add that information to your drawing?

Would it be possible to add that information to your drawing?
It would (of course) but just stating the 'travel' ought to be enough :unsure:

I've just done a quick test and I find a maximum travel of ~60mm.

So much will depend upon the orientation of the Top-Slide and whether or not the handle becomes restricted - - that is one of the bug-bears of the Myford cross-slide design, the height difference between top-slide and the cross-slide is too small to allow more than 80° from the Lathe Centre-line (20° perpendicular to the bed). The handles are the first to 'conflict'. This should not be a problem for the OP though since 'turning tapers' would normally be thought of as less than 10° to the centre-line.

Just to clarify, when I said tapers, I only meant small ones. Currently, I can do them, it just means rotating the whole XY table.

Such these kinds of shapes (image taken from a random google search):

1681913576001.png

Thanks JG. That sounds great.

I'll keep an eye out on ebay for some second hand ones. It looks like new ones would be £200-£300 which would be too much to spend really.
I think I have a tee slotted casting in the shed similar to the one JG shows if it's any help, there might even be the makings of a top slide as well I can have a look tomorrow.

Would only cost you the postage.

Back