Quickest way to repair damaged chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fobos8":12tewl7f said:
Can anyone recommend a cheap grinder that will take this stone? From the classic hand tools website it say that the stone comes with bushes to suite arbors of 16, 19 and 22mm. Looking in the axminster catalogue I can't find a grinder with any of these bore sizes. Of the Norton 3X users which grinder are you using?

I have a cheap and cheerful Clarke grinder from Machine mart, which cost me something in the region of 20quid. I'd go for something a little meetier if i were buying again, it just feels a little on the light side, but having said that, it's never let me down, so I cant see me changing it until it gives up the ghost.

The Norton 3X stone comes with a 12mm bushing so it will fit most grinders.

Once you try the Norton stone you'll wonder how you ever managed without it, it really is that good. Only use very light pressure on the wheel though, as it eats steel at an alarming rate.

Cheers

Aled

Sometimes, in the heat of battle, the time taken to grab a power tool, grinder whatever, from the van and set it up is too long. As the basic task is the removal of metal quickly in an area that might be considered as not very critical, the grinding bevel. I wonder if one of these hand held diamond files seen demonstrated at woodworking shows might do the job. Of course not for the very best chisels but just to get the job on the go again. There may not be sufficient 'bite' of course especially as the steel of the chisel is hardened. Has anyone tried this?

Andrew
Sorry for late reply and prolly too late. But I tried grinding out a 1mm nick I created in a chisel on the XX DMT for you. It took 4 minutes with a honing guide. 1 further minute to hone and polish a secondary bevel. So not bad - depends on how often you're hitting nails!
I use the Norton 3x on a Clarke Grinder / Linisher. I did have to replace one of the large washers and replace with a standard one though.
By the way I would try the coarse (36 grit ideally) wheel that comes with the cheap grinder first. Despite the high praise of the Norton stone on this forum I didn't find it that much better (considering it'll cost twice as much as a cheap grinder) than the standard el cheapo stone. Just make sure any stone you use is well dressed and use a light pressure. See my video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hm4HiN2Lww
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks Gidon for finding the time to test out grinding out a nick.

4 minutes is pretty quick - like you said far quicker than the black DMT stone. Thing is I'm now tempted to go for the grind stone option now cos however bad I nick my chisels i'll be able to repair them very quickly. I'll just have to do it in the evening when I get home.

Have been looking at two grinders. A Sealy 8" and Record 8". Both are around £50 but the Sealy weighs 17kg whereas the Record weighs 10kg. This make me think the Sealy will be more sturdy..? Anyone out there using either of these?

Thanks aswell for the link to your video. You clearly have a lot of knowledge to offer on sharpening. I've never been able to cut paper like that!!!

Cheers, Andrew

No problem Andrew I was curious. I personally wouldn't use the XX stone for grinding out nicks - it's handy for restoring the primary bevel without plugging anything in and when I don't want a hollow grind. I also paid a lot less than Axminster's price - got it in the US when the XR was good :).
Cheers
Gidon

In my classes with a cabinet maker,he stated he could take a chisel hit it on the end with a hammer and wreck it but get it working within a couple of minutes....he did it with a 3 wheel 1" belt grinder and that chisel was sharp when he got thru demonstrating.The Diamond stick was only used to touch up the burr...

Latest posts

Back