Quickest way to repair damaged chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm a site carpenter and I'm frequently knackering up some of my chisels on "invisible" nails etc. The typical damage is around a 2mm chip/dent.

I have the DMT duosharp diamond stones course grits (black) through to the extra fine (green). I find these really good.

The problem is that it can take up to 40mins to take out the chip/dent even using the black extra course stone.

What can I do to speed up the initial repair to the chisel edge? Do I need to be looking at a grinding wheel? If so can someone recommend one that isn't gonna break the bank. If the consensus is that I do need a wheel I reckon I just need a basic one to restore broken edges?....

Thanks in advance, Andrew

I think you need to grind out those kind of defects.

I would go for a relatively cheap bench grinder with a Norton 3X stone on it - these are meant to be excellent for metal removal without overheating. You would then re-hone afterwards on your diamond stones as usual.

Cheers, Ed

How about a hand grinder like this

2littlehandgrinder.jpg

fix it in the van or...............a belt sander?

Lee

Hmm. . . are you left handed or right handed? I have my hand crank the other way.

Hi Andrew

If you are on site, then use a beltsander to grind out the chip. You could do this freehand, just approximating 25 degrees (keep a model as a reference on hand). Follow this with your diamond stones. This may be sharp enough for what you want. If not, I'd add a leather strop (using Veritas green rouge) to your arsenal.

If you were doing up an edge for a workshop, then I'd use a grinder.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey guys, do those cheap grinders (from the big orange shed for example) take the norton wheels? I often find that they convienently make their tools only accept their own expensive inferior accessories.

If they do I'd certainly think about picking one up.

I've seen the Norton "Premium Blue" wheels online, but these look like they are for A2 or hard steel. Are the Norton 3x ones different? Any ideas who stocks these?

Love that hand cranked grinder! Car boot find?

I would just add to Derek's post to make sure that you've got a container of water handy as well to dunk the blade in from time to time - Rob

Andrew
If you want to stick to diamond stones - the DMT Extra Extra course (D8XX) is very good for grinding. Not as fast as a grinder of course but easier to use on site I'd imagine. It is specified as as 120 grit but it cuts a lot quicker than the black 220 grit DMT (I have both).
A cheaper alternative would be some good quality (Norton or 3M) sandpaper stuck with some spray adhesive or double sided tape to some MDF. 80 or 120 grit cuts pretty fast especially if you replace it reguarly.
Cheers
Gidon

I have fitted a Norton 3X on a cheapo Clarke grinder - you might need to modify/change the plastic inserts on the Norton to prevent a bit of wobble?
But works fine after that.

Rod

hi guys and thanks for the replies so far.

I don't mind doing the repair at home as I do have "backup" chisels I can use on site.

I don't have a belt sander so I guess that rules that out.

I'm gonna try the sandpaper solution and see what happens. I like this idea cos I can use my veritas honing jig on the sandpaper and then switch straight onto my stones.

On the subject of bench grinders is it okay to use diamond stones after grinding the chip out. I mean because the grinder will leave a concave shape and then the diamond stones will try to grind it flat??.... Does any else do this. Could the chisel be ground on the side of the wheel to keep a flat profile?

Lastly to Gidon how long do you reckon it would take to grind out a 2mm chip using extra extra couse DMT stone?

Thanks again in advance, Andrew

the "backup" ones are pretty rubbish to be honest -- beyond repair for me at the moment. But I'm really looking forward to finding a way regrinding these ones aswell.

My DMT sharpening "system" is really good and I've got razor sharp chisels but I really need to find a decent way or get rid of the big chips.

Never grind on the side of a wheel, it can cause spectacular, and potentially dangerous, explosion of the wheel. This will certainly be in the instructions of any grinder you get, and it's worth heeding.

Hi All

I tried "grinding" out the chipped chisels on some sandpaper but I had no joy.

From reading the link posted by Ed it seems to me that there are advantages to using a wheel to grind, i.e. less work on subsequent diamond stones.

So could someone recommend a cheap grinder that will house the Norton 3X wheel? A wheel which comes with a jig which could be set to varying degrees seems to be a good idea.

Kind regards, Andrew

.......... just looked at the Axminster website and there is the diamond stone that Gidon recommended (120 grit) for £87.

Just wondering what kind of an alternative this would provide to using a bench grinder. Anyone got any idea of how long this type of stone should take to remove a 2mm nick?

Cheers, Andrew

fobos8":3recnv1u said:
.......... just looked at the Axminster website and there is the diamond stone that Gidon recommended (120 grit) for £87.

Just wondering what kind of an alternative this would provide to using a bench grinder. Anyone got any idea of how long this type of stone should take to remove a 2mm nick?

Cheers, Andrew
Absolutely ages compared to a bench grinder with Norton 3x wheel - but you won't get the aerobic workout :wink:

Interesting chain of Q 'n A's. Am I the only one who might try Emery paper instead of Sandpaper. I have also seen the side of a metal cutting angle grinder disc used, off the machine of course.

I've decided to go down the bench grinder and Norton 3X stone route.

Can anyone recommend a cheap grinder that will take this stone? From the classic hand tools website it say that the stone comes with bushes to suite arbors of 16, 19 and 22mm. Looking in the axminster catalogue I can't find a grinder with any of these bore sizes. Of the Norton 3X users which grinder are you using?

I also think I gonna get this Veritas grinder jig http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Veritas-Tool-Rest-and-Grinding-Jig-22615.htm any thoughts??

Best regards, Andrew

Back