Quick and Dirty Bench from old pallets.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I needed a new bench to have in the garage at home. I moved my main bench into the Workshop so I have not had one in the garage for almost 18 months. I need one for repairing stuff that goes with my job, and It's handy to have a vice when I'm tinkering with the motorbikes.

I had a stack of pallets that i pulled apart ages ago ready for next winter to burn on the hotspot. However, i reckoned some of the material was actually quite usable. I ran a good few pieces through the thicknesser after checking I'd not left any staples or Nails in them.

I just used PVA and clamps to patch all the pieces together. I quick blast with a 120 in the Belt sander, then a few minutes with ROS and it looks ok. I rounded the edges over with a handheld router and a 'bit' roundover bit. I think it was a 3/4" radius.

The Shelf at the top is made of the same stuff, although I didn't bother to thickness these pieces. It will be mostly covered in junk pretty soon anyway.

The frame is made up of the same pallets, thicknessed and then painted with some left overs from my recent tool tote construction. The bottom panel is also pallets. These pieces were nearly full size, so I wasn't able to lose the nail holes. :D

I then added a 4 way and another little shelf as well as a vice.

Total size is 62" High, 48" Wide, 36" Deep. I like to work standing up, so I made the bench 36" High, which is just right for me.

Total time spent, about 3 hours including the thicknessing. Total cost --
\:D/ Nothing!
I just brought it home on the trailer and shoved it in the garage. When I tidy up and get it in place I'll post a picture.

Cheers

Lee.

very nice. well done

is that pine or some other type of wood. i thought pallets were only made of pine but in the photos it does not look like that at all

sparky

sparky":i72va854 said:
very nice. well done

is that pine or some other type of wood. i thought pallets were only made of pine but in the photos it does not look like that at all

sparky

I'm fairly sure it's pine, although not 100% sure. Some of it did seem to be a bit harder than pine though?

I'll get another pic of top using macro so we can all have a look.

Cheers
Lee.

Latest posts

Back