• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 2 Large Wooden Screws for Leg Vices on Roubo Benches etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainBarnacles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have for sale a couple of wooden screws that I commissioned a local engineer to make about 10 years ago when I was building a Roubo workbench. I had intended to build a couple more benches to sell and offset the cost of building my own bench but I never got around to it and these screws have sat on a shelf in my workshop ever since. The thread has a reasonably coarse pitch so a vice will open and close quickly but the flip side is that you have to crank it a bit harder if you want to clamp the heck out of a piece. That said, I've been using mine for over 10 years now and I've never had to get heavy handed with it to hold any "normal" size pieces.

Both screws are made from beech and the “nuts” are made from oak.

The larger of the two measures approximately 650mm long, 60mm diameter on the threaded section, 80mm diameter on the hub. The “nut” measures 210mm x 80mm x 112mm. £130 NOW £95 inc. mainland UK delivery
large_1.jpglarge_2.jpglarge_3.jpg
The smaller one measures approximately 580mm long, 50mm diameter on the threaded section, 75mm diameter on the hub. The “nut” measures 205mm x 73mm x 100mm. £120 NOW £85 inc. mainland UK delivery
small_1.jpgsmall_2.jpg

Both screws have a couple of spots where they bind slightly on the thread, it might be a bit of seasonal movement because they used to thread very smoothly. I waxed the one I use and it has been fine but you may just need to fettle them a little with either a file or sandpaper etc to get them threading smoothly though.

Last edited:
Well hello! I’m interested in the big one for a leg vice on my roubo bench build. I got a vintage one but it has a lot of play in it an I’m worried this will effect it’s operation.

Is there much play in your big screw?

Cheers

Fitz

Well hello! I’m interested in the big one for a leg vice on my roubo bench build. I got a vintage one but it has a lot of play in it an I’m worried this will effect it’s operation.

Is there much play in your big screw?

Cheers

Fitz
Hi Fitz,
Thanks for your interest and apologies for my late reply. Regarding the play in my big screw :)LOL:), there is a few degrees of play towards the end of the screw but as the nut threads on towards the hub it definitely tightens up, ideal as this is where I imagine it will see most use.
Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Cap. Been trying to understand if this is a better option than the one I have. So a couple of questions.

What’s the distance between the threads? Is that called the pitch. Mine is 17mm.

When you hold the screw steady and wiggle the nut in the long dimension how far can it move? Mine moves about 10mm, and feels very sloppy.
E72869A6-205B-4F06-AAC4-0D2481A9150B.jpeg

FD4B3CAA-72F8-4849-8545-445EF2ACB12E.jpeg

Thanks

Fitz.

Hi Fitz

The pitch of the thread (I hope I'm using the right terminology too!) is about 19mm and with the nut right at the far end of the screw there's about 10-15mm play each way at the end of the hub. When the nut is much further up the screw (where it typically spends most of it's time) there is much less play as the thread tightens up a little.

I'm not sure you'll be gaining much by buying my screw, except perhaps the reassurance that it's much newer and theoretically less prone to failure.

I hope that helps :)

I have to make some room so I've substantially reduced the price of these in the hope that they tickle someone's fancy. :rolleyes:
They're now just £95 and £85 respectively including UK Mainland delivery.

Did you sell these in the end? I'm finally getting back to my workbench build and having installed my own big screw in a prototype on my current 'dirty' bench I can see i'll not want to move it to the new bench, so will likely need another one!

Did you sell these in the end? I'm finally getting back to my workbench build and having installed my own big screw in a prototype on my current 'dirty' bench I can see i'll not want to move it to the new bench, so will likely need another one!
Hi, no, I didn’t find a new home for them. I had some interest (here and elsewhere) but they are still sat on my shelf gathering dust. I had a load of beech a while back and I thought about building a couple of benches to put them in and selling those but as usual time got scarce and it never got off the ground.
😎

Back