Questions on Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've acquired several recently cut lengths of Yew, but only up to 6" diameter.
I would appreciate any & all comments on seasoning, usage, wet turning, type of work I could turn or carve etc. I understand pith is a problem given the width, for turning, but I would hate to waste it through ignorance.
p.s. I have a lovely open fire if it upsets me....

Thanks.

The last thing you should do with yew wood is burn it on an open fire - all parts of it are toxic and give off poisonous gases. Be warned!!

Brian

I heard that a plank of any kind of wood takes a year per 10mm of thickness. This means That it will dry out 5mm on each side per year. Unless of course it's going to go on a kiln.

normal rule of thumb is an inch per year for boards. but there are a lot of variables, and turners do turn some things green so it is not a hard and fast rule.

It was only a threat to the Yew about the open fire.
As I'm at the woodturning club tomorrow I'll ask there too.
I know about the seasoning now, & it's now just a case of finding a good spot to store it.
Thanks for your input.

marcros":j662636k said:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/yew-tree-feld-and-in-yard-what-do-i-do-now-t41749.html was from a quick search that i did and may be of interest.

Thanks for that. Very interesting reading.

Latest posts

Back