Yew Boards.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
What’s the price of Yew these days? Looking for some advice, please.

I say that because I’m coming to the point where there needs to be some serious and permanent downsizing in my workshop, courtesy of that old devil, arthritis and some of the timber that I don’t use any more is top of the list.

I bought a share in a large load of Yew about 25 odd years ago that came down in the legendary blow-out in southern England in 1987.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...niversary-of-the-1987-great-storm-in-picturesI homed in on it because of its board widths and thicknesses – perfect for turning larger pieces and I was surprised at the time how relatively few splits and inclusions there were….. given that it’s Yew!

I’ve used a lot over the years but I still have a quantity left. Moisture-wise, it’s been stickered in a dry garage ever since I got it, so it is dry enough to work..

It’s all waney-edged boards and varies in thickness from about 3 inches, some at just under 2 inches, a little at about 1 inch. The lengths vary – the longest bits are in the order of 10 feet, down to 3 feet and four feet and single bits….. ideal for turning, which is why I got the stuff, though some may be big enough for larger pieces.

Sorry to be vague, but I’m not able to get at it easily for photos without shifting other stock around it. All up, it’s good quality yew. If I offer it up, I’m well out of touch with wood prices.

Last edited:
There were some lots of yew recently sold at Pughs sale in January. You could search their results for previous Tool-and-Timber sales to get a better idea. Yew is often in their auctions.
Brian

Thank you, Brian.
I hadn't thought of Pugh's.

I'm not after top-whack-price, just that it gets used properly.
I may try to list it here first, if I can overcome to location issue............ it would have to be collected and I'm a bit off the beaten track.

Thank you, Brian.
I hadn't thought of Pugh's.

I'm not after top-whack-price, just that it gets used properly.
I may try to list it here first, if I can overcome to location issue............ it would have to be collected and I'm a bit off the beaten track.
I might be interested and I'm not too far away - was quite often down in Aberaeron or Tregaron
Steve

I might be interested and I'm not too far away - was quite often down in Aberaeron or Tregaron
Steve

We should keep that in Mind, Steve.
I'm about 7 miles up the road from Tregaron in the direction of Pontrhydygroes.
You'd be welcome to have a look the next time you're in these parts.
In the meantime , I'll see if I can clear a space for some photos.

Sorry about your arthritis mate. Mine is getting bad (early 50s) and the other local joiner where I live is about to retire as his is chronic. Occupational hazard. A doctor told me last year that putting all your weight behind your bent fingerjoints pushing timber through machinery/using a hand plane/scraper etc. for hours every day brings it on.

There’s nothing stopping you approaching the likes of somewhere like Timberman in Bronwydd (Carmarthen) to see if they’d be interested in a wholesale purchase? It might not get you top dollar, but i’m sure it would be less hassle for you overall?

Are there no local wood turning clubs near you, they would jump at the chance

Hi @Argus
First... sorry to hear about your arthritis problems 😔

Try this site: Sawn timber price list - TreeStation

About 30-35 years ago I worked for a timber company local to where I live and bought quite a bit of yew... and still have "quite a bit of yew"... Life got in the way as far as woodworking went after being made redundant in 1992. Now getting back into sorting out my small workshop and surprised at what I've got.

With that in mind I did a Google search to try to find out a price per cubic foot and could only find one site up Manchester way. A bit shocked by the prices 😳 I've no idea if these are up-to-date but if you follow the link and scroll down to the bottom of the timbers listed it'll give you an idea of £ per cubic foot... *before* VAT.

Thank you Frank.

Brian had earlier mentioned Pugh's Auctions and the sample prices that I saw there for 1" thick Yew typically lined up with your list.

That's the price of timber these days, unfortunately.
May even be going up again.... who knows what's going on these days...............
My stuff is quite straight grained, unlike the twisted natural growth, so I think that it came from an ornamental park-stand that came down in the 1987 wind.

All I have to do now is get at the stuff!

Thank you Frank.

Brian had earlier mentioned Pugh's Auctions and the sample prices that I saw there for 1" thick Yew typically lined up with your list.

That's the price of timber these days, unfortunately.
May even be going up again.... who knows what's going on these days...............
My stuff is quite straight grained, unlike the twisted natural growth, so I think that it came from an ornamental park-stand that came down in the 1987 wind.

All I have to do now is get at the stuff!

Glad to be of some help.

I did see Brian's posting but didn't/haven't followed the link he gave to Pugh's but it's always good to have a couple of prices for comparison.

I was (am?) also thinking about possibly moving some as not sure what I'll make from it - bought some 3" & 4" for turning as well as a few boards - some waney edge & some PAR from .75" 1", 1.5" and 2"/2.5" + the 3" & 4". I've always thought it a beautiful timber. As I'm renovating my small workshop and in need of a new bench I've even been thinking of using some for that to save buying ply or MRMDF... ?? Seeing the £ per cubic has me thinking a bit differently though now 🤣

I understand what you mean about the "get at the stuff". I'd moved my to a storage shed on a friends place (back in 1998-2000) only to be told last year he was letting other sheds off to someone who didn't want others having access to the yard so I had to move mine out. Now stacked at home in a back area but not really that accessible at the moment.

Good luck in moving it on when the time comes 👍

Last edited:
Back