Questions on Startrite 502(E) Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlow52

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions if I may please:
The first relates to Dust extraction on the 502 and 502E

I have seen a 502E in a shop and it has 2 No 4" DE points.

Do I need to have both connected?

I only have a photo of the front-left of the 502 and only one DE point visible: does it have 2 DE points also?

What are the main differences between the 502 and the 502E
The ones I have been able to glean thus far are as follows:
[width and depth of cut not a concern, neither are the educational safety features associated with the E]

Item...........502............502E
Max Blade:. 25mm vs 35mm
Weight:.......240kg vs 200kg
Guides:.......metal vs ceramic
Motor:.........2hp vs 2.5hp

Thank you

I can't find any information on the 502 model (I assume it was the predecessor to the 502E?) but, Andy King recently reviewed the 502E in Good Woodworking magazine. Unfortunately, that was in last month's issue so, you're unlikely to find it on the shelves, now. Overall, he seems impressed by its capacities and performance. The fence looks easy to remove (always important!) but it does appear to be lacking rack and pinion adjustment for the table tilt, which you may find on some other models in the same price bracket (?) and higher up.

In an ideal world, I think you should have both ports connect, using some kind of Y-junction/splitter to divide the airflow between two hoses. I have a home-made setup on my 401E that collects from directly below the table but, surprisingly, dust still builds up around the bottom port. If I had to choose one though, I'd definitely connect to the upper port - simply because it's the best chance you have of keeping the lower blade guides clean.

Ceramic guides are supposedly the best you can buy for any bandsaw. They generate less heat and friction that metal guides. I'm not someone who shares much concern towards maximum blade width, as you can make perfectly straight cuts with only a ¾in blade.

Hope this helps. :)

Latest posts

Back