Question Kitchen worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETERG

Established Member
Reaction score
i have 2 pieces of laminate worktops one from b and q and one from homebase both i thought were the same but the round is very slightly different i was wondering if this will matter if i use the worktop router jig to join the 2 together as a corner??

(cant return or exchange the worktops as one was left over the other given to me)

What colour is it? if it's black you may get away with blending the corner a little with colourfil

PETERG":35xdxoti said:
i have 2 pieces of laminate worktops one from b and q and one from homebase both i thought were the same but the round is very slightly different i was wondering if this will matter if i use the worktop router jig to join the 2 together as a corner??

(cant return or exchange the worktops as one was left over the other given to me)

I would not like to attempt this, but.....

I would imagine that it is theoretically possible to join these pieces for a corner. (I am a lot better at the visualisation than the practical). Instead of a 45 degree straight line through the curved edge you would need another join - probably itself a curve.

I am not sure how you would easily generate the curve - there has to be a way with standard draughtman's tools - and the effort may not be worth the risk of failure. I will ponder this while walking the dogs.

Or as a mental experiment: if you could accurately model the two pieces in sketchup, then get the computer to calculate the intersection then you should have the line.

There must be someone on the forum who knows how to take this one step further.

Ahh - I think I can see now how you could do it. Now, how to explain it? I need pencil and paper. Damn! If you are interested I will attempt to explain with photos of drawings.

I just walked the dogs. What a lovely way to clear the mind of trivia and solve a puzzle.
DSC00876.JPG

(Just checking that I can place images where I want them in a post.

Depending upon the nature of the rounds, you can indeed generate a line that will give you a smooth 'mitre' between the pieces. This line will most likely be a curve though, and if you are very unlucky might be a different curve under the work pieces than on top. The line can be deduced geometrically using pencil and paper.

I, personally, would balk at the accuracy required in the cutting of the curve(s) into the workpieces, but if you are not worried about messing up the material and fancy a challenge then I am more than willing to expound my theory (and it is just that) on how to define the curve. I could see it being a fun challenge, especially if saving lots of money.

First we would need to know more about the shape of rounds. Are they 'simple' or 'complex'? These are the terms that I think in - I am not sure what the correct terms are.
Simple: there is no vertical tangent to the curve, or there is only one vertical tangent to the curve that intersects the curve at the bottom of the worktop. Another way of putting it: the curve does not go under the front of the work surface.
Complex: anything else.

If both profiles are simple curves, then there is one line, cut vertically through the worktop, that will solve the problem.

If one profile is simple and the other complex then there will be two curves, one for the underside and one for the top. I would think of the worktop as two pieces laminated together and cut the top curve to one depth and the bottom curve to the remaining depth which would make all mating surfaces vertical or horizontal.

If both profiles are complex then the solution is as the previous if and only if height of the very front edge (the tangent point) above the base is the same for each profile. Otherwise I cannot get my mind round it.

Attachments

• DSC00876.JPG
    DSC00876.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 119
Use a wood or alluminium joining strip, this should hide the difference as they won't meet.

Roy.

+1 for Roy or if you dont like the joint strip id spend £50 an get a matching top
From one Of the two diy spots or rip off the the roundover an biscuit some nice timber
On the front edge of both pieces or leave it as a square edge front an contact some laminate
On the front edge.

Back