question for those who sell work/do any freelance jobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say that you are a former welder- do you have any welding equipment still? I could use a couple of machine bases- I was going to make them in the spring but I could bring that forward a bit.

I really empathise with you, Hazel, I went through a lot of this stuff years ago.

One thing I was wondering, is there a welfare department at college? It's possible that you might be able to get a grant via them from an independent source such as the Carpenter's Company or the Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers. May not be much, maybe 300 or 400 quid, but it could tide you over and buy some tools. They like your marks to be up to scratch, though, are you (near the) top of the class? Or maybe even apply direct? If you have some backing from your tutor or welfare dept, it's better.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Hi Hazel,

I am glad that most of the comments on this thread are supportive and I hope you take this comment in the same vein. You have mentioned that your written communication is not the best (I have the same problem) so can I suggest that you use all of the tools available. If you click on Full Editor when replying you can use the spell checker to help make your replies more readable.

The fact that people have been happy to refer your work should tell you that you are doing some things right and it will only get better if you keep trying.

Best of luck,

Paul

unfortunately I don't have any welding equipment, no. All the stuff I used at work belonged to the company, and I got rid of my mask and all other PPE over a year ago as it didn't look like it would be used again

apparently I am not elegable for most of the financial support due to a combination of my age and educational history. It's been looked into at the moment but though college at least there seems to be very little - if anything. Hadn't considered independent sources if I am honest, will have a look into that thanks

I have been using the full editor :/ it hadn't been my spelling I had been referring to when I said my written communication sucked, it's more the ability to get my meaning across. Though I am aware that my spelling also leaves much to be desired. Just half the time spell checkers can see that my spelling is incorrect but either do not offer corrections as my spelling is just so bad that it does not know what I am trying to say, or they offer several options which I find it hard to choose from as my reading ability is fairly low too. Which I know sounds stupid as I have a degree and such, but at uni I had all sorts of software to assist me. I have been trying to improve my English, I did a functional skills course last year for example, but seemingly I can manage to pass the exams on content alone so my spelling and reading rarely get worked on. (I also refuse to do functional skills at college as my mum is the FS English teacher there... but I am looking into doing the next level via the local library)

hazel":2ce3jf1t said:
unfortunately I don't have any welding equipment, no. All the stuff I used at work belonged to the company, and I got rid of my mask and all other PPE over a year ago as it didn't look like it would be used again

Hazel -you wrote this on another thread the other day :(

we have converted half a double garage into our workshop (boyfriends parents garage that they are allowing us to use half of). There are sometimes space issues, but we have arranged most things in a way that fit, and currently have a lathe, bandsaw, scrollsaw, pillar drill, 2 welders, a plasma cutter, and god knows what else in there lol. So ye, you can fit more than you'd think into these places, just takes a bit of thinking about at times I guess.

Honesty is the best policy !!!

the welding equipment is my boyfriends not mine, never asked to use it and to be honest the MIG is not up to much adn the other is a stick welder and I can't do stick only MIG and TIG

Hey come on guys, this is an interesting and thought provoking thread (albeit for lousy reasons), let's not ruin that, eh?
Hazel most of us are with you here.

Just came across this thread.

Hazel the job centres use this provider for various courses.

http://www.trade-skills.com/

Not sure how you are progressing with your training as a joiner, and if you are doing the NVQ course? Also i'm not sure whether it covers PASMA / IPAF courses?

If not, speak to your adviser - nicely ;) and see if they can try to get you on one of the PASMA courses. While you don't need it as such, it will probably help with future employment.

Also if you haven't got it ask them if they can help you get your CSCS card, that will be needed. Sorry can't remember who they use for the CSCS. They can also put you on first aid courses.

Hope it helps and good luck. :)

Back