Quarter sawn oak, best finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a box out of the above and it's got some stunning Rays, flecks ect. Once I've finished its construction what is the best finish to enhance its beauty.
TT

I did a lot of experimenting with oak finishes a few years ago.

i was finishing some window ledges and i found that Fiddes hard wax oil brought out the figure better than anything else.
And it's a doddle to use....just wipe on and wipe off.

ScouseKev":1s80h0f8 said:
I did a lot of experimenting with oak finishes a few years ago.

i was finishing some window ledges and i found that Fiddes hard wax oil brought out the figure better than anything else.
And it's a doddle to use....just wipe on and wipe off.

what was it compared with

A range of different oils and some oil/poly blends.

I tried osmo too and really liked it, but still preferred the Fiddes.

The question is perhaps coloured by where the the wood will live, external locations I use OSMO and internally Tung Oil.

I'm going to follow this thread with interest because I just picked up some quartersawn white oak with which to make a library table and accompanying side tables.

Alan Peters achieved some marvellous finishes with oak, and in his book "Cabinetmaking: the professional approach" (pp.152-158) describes the main ones he uses. It may worth trying to find a copy to reference as I am unsure if I am permitted to post a photo of the pages here. He describes his oil finish in considerable detail.

Back