Quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

I think you are right, if you make some ad-hoc sales and declare the income then you should be fine. The Inland Revenue will want you to become a sole trader when ad-hoc becomes regular income. Sadly there is no real definition of when this is but as I was doing monthly craft fairs my Inland Revenue office wanted me to become a sole trader. If you are in the gray area AND you are declaring your income then I really doubt the Inland Revenue will fine you - after all they are still getting the tax revenue. They do take a dim view on people who are regularly trading and who don't declare it though.

As for VAT registering, not been close to a problem yet on my meagre sales :(

BM

I've been self employed in the past and find the newer tax rules much more simple than the old 714/SC60 days. I'm not registered as a sole trader, but sell perhaps one piece a year which is normally at an overall loss. If HMRC want to audit me, then I have recorded pretty much everything I have bought/sold for my hobby over the last 3 years and they're welcome to it. The tax refund should cover the fine for not declaring.... ;)
I don't promote my turnings as saleable items, but occasionally do get asked to make something. I don't have any issues asking for some recompense for these, even though they are nowhere near professional quality.
Looking at that original ad though, there's a vast difference between professional quality and merchantable quality.

Latest posts

Back