Quality softwood supplier in Bristol area?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I have to make some traditional frame+panel interior doors. They'll be painted, but I don't want to be struggling with glueing knots back into fifths!

So I'm looking for a supplier of furniture-quality softwood (firsts/seconds?), that's reasonably well seasoned and/or kilned, in the Bristol area.

Can anyone recommend a supplier, or is this another search for the Holy Grail?

E.

PS: I am copying the design used in the existing doors in the house, and am expecting to have to make up the bigger components from narrower pieces. The lock rails are 11" tall, and I'll never find the stock, never mind something that's quatersawn (and so won't cup or wind!).

Not the answer you're looking for but personally I'd pay a little more and use tulip wood.

Coley

I've used Robbins too, but through my builders merchant's account. Saved me around 45% on the prices Robbins gave me directly. I bought a load of prepped beech for a kitchen I was building.

They even cludged it so I can order through them and go and pick it up myself at that price if I get desperate rather than wait until they were buying stuff from Robbins for delivery to their depot. Happy to help if you're stuck.

You need Swedish redwood "unsorted" grade, from a yard which doesn't let you select from the heap i.e. you buy it by the grade, not from a heap which has been sorted (and hence degraded) by earlier customers.

There is a branch of lathams in Bristol, Im sure they do unsorted.

For a wide ledge maybe you could use a pine panel -I recently bought a couple of panels ftom an ebay seller. I needed a 400mm wide windowboard and it was cheaper than gluing up boards once some labour cost was included.

Tulipwood is a good option

Hi Eric,
I've used Clarks Wood and Bristol City Timber for U/S Redwood and both have been excellent. Last time I used BCT for U/S they only kept it in limited sizes; 9x2 and 9x3 as I recall.
I found both places a tad pricy, but not as much as Robbins - They can be very expensive for some of their timbers, especially those associated with marine work...
If you fancy a trip a little further afield, Oscar Windebanks out at Box are about the best timber merchant I have used, both for quality and price and they stock U/S redwood in a decent size range but I haven't been there for a while so it might be worth a call just to check.
They have a great range of hardwoods and sheet stock as well.
http://oscarwindebank.co.uk/

Andy

Thanks everyone, that's a few to get me started!

A trip to Box would be nice. I used to go over there regularly (caving), so I know where Oscar Windebank's are: IIRC, the "wharf" was where the stone was loaded on to barges on the river (and later the GWR) to go down to Bath, Bristol London and elsewhere. Stone from Box hill was used to build the National Cathedral in Washington DC, amongst other things.

But I'll try the closer places too, as Box is 3/4 hour away.

Thanks again,

E.

Latest posts

Back