WiZeR's Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
WARNING: This post may induce sleep...

I have been planning this workbench since about November. Weeks mucking about with sketchup and cutting diagrams. By xmas I had it all worked out and was planning to make a start over the xmas break. Man Flu put a stop to that idea! Then in the first week of Jan I got a date for my back operation: 22nd Jan. No matter how I fancy talked her, the missus would not let me lift all the sheet material on my own. She even called my mate who supplies the sheets and told him not to serve me. PANIC! I wanted it done before the operation, as I'd want something to use for light duties during my recovery. I went back over my plans and decided if I could get the components cut, I could put it together myself. I contacted MarkW for a big favour. My idea was to get him over and help me cut down the panels one afternoon and i'd glue it up the next afternoon. Mark promptly kicked my design in to touch and we set about building the whole thing in his workshop. We had less than a week before the op. No problem, thinks I... Halfway through the third day, I get a call on the mobile... The operation had been postponed for 2 weeks! :twisted: I was frustrated at first but it took the pressure off to get it done. The whole thing took about 40 working hours. That sounds a lot but we was doing a lot of the design as we went and you have to account for one half of the duo being a ten thumbed dunce. :D

DSC_0011.JPG

The top is a sandwich of 2 layers of 18mm Ply between 2 sheets of 9mm MR MDF. All wrapped with 2x4 softwood. I picked the vice up from eBay for £20 and that's a little project for me to clean up and paint. The vice jaws are Yellow Ballau hardwood (left-over decking). It stands at 1050mm high. I was nervous that i would turn out too high, but I genuinely feel this is the right working height for me (I'm 6ft 3in tall with a back of an 90yr old.).

DSC_0013.JPG

The carcase is all 18mm Birch Ply. The quality of the ply was pretty poor. I can't complain too much as it's from a pal. The drawers are 12mm with 9mm MR MDF bottoms on FE runners. The doors are on euro style hinges and the cupboard has an adjustable shelf.

DSC_0015.JPG

Mark's clever design alteration allowed for a space under the worktop for tools to be kept whilst working. As we where putting it together we thought it would be even better if there were sliding trays in this area. This is another little project for me to do when I have recovered from the op.

DSC_0014.JPG

To finish the workbench I used Osmo PolyX Clear. I took some advice from OryxDesign (thanks mate) who advised to roller it on (I used a smooth mini roller) very thinly and then wipe it off with a rag. This worked a charm. Very easy stuff to work with. I put 2 coats on the top and door/drawer fronts and 1 coat on the rest.

DSC_0017.JPG

I have a lot of organising to do in the workshop, it's a bit of a junk yard at the moment. I haven't fully decided what's going in the drawers and cupboard yet. I'm thinking measuring and marking tools in one, screws in another and maybe HH routers in the large one. The cupboard is home to the Henry atm but not sure how much that is going to be needed in the workshop as I have the RSDE2.

I can't tell you how chuffed I am with it. The missus has caught me on a few occasions just standing, grinning at it. :D I'll be forever in MarkW's debt, can't thank you enough mate. I learned so much during the build. We had a lot of fun too!

The final coat of finish went on this morning and tomorrow I'm going in for the operation. The good news is that, for at least a few days, the forum can have a rest from my mutterings. :D

See you all soon.

Always nice to have a peek in member's workshops, Wizer. Nice looking bench, too.
Good luck with the op - look forward to your mutterings when you're back on your fee.

Tom,
Looks like a really nice job - well done to you and Mark. It should keep you out of mischief when you're back from the back op (and very good luck with that!)

You might want a few holes for bench dogs to assist clamping in due course.

thanks guys

Yes, forgot to mention dog holes. This another one for me to do when I'm back. I already have some nice veritas dogs and hold downs.

Nice piece of work Wizer, you have every right to be chuffed with it. :wink:

Lovely bench Tom, I'm glad to see your workshop is coming along, and good luck with the back op!! Good work too, Mark! You were a big help to me with my bench also. Three cheers for Mark. :)

Good luck WiZer, I'll be looking out for your next posting.
regards, Rich.

Great bench :D I also like i high bench, the one i'm building is going to be about 980mm high and i'm 5' 8".

I know what you mean when somehow your standing in your shop, in a trance, looking at your bench or (something you have built) smiling, thinking errr...what was i supposed to be doing? hahaha It's like art, stand stare, look, think, etc.

Hope your back gets better soon :)

That looks really good.

Well done Mark and well done you. Good luck with the operation and get back safely upright really soon.
Cheers.

SF

Superb bench you and Mark made there WiZer, I'm green with envy. Best of luck with the OP, but let's face it, if you can beat man flu you'll back at the bench in no time.

Great to meet you the other day, thanks for the deal. Good luck with your back op and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Bench looks good in real life too.

i like it... looks good :) shame there was not more pictures like step guide or process.

i need to make something like that to replace the 20 year old cupboard bench top thing. at some point when i get around to it, as well as the rest of the garage

Agree, pukka job, one to be be proud of. And there's nowt wrong with standing back and admiring your own work. I still do.

Andy

Thanks chaps. I feel like a fraud...

Well, I am back after 5 days in hospital without being operated on! It's been a complete nightmare. I lost my slot to an emergency, then they lost my MRI scans. When they re-scanned, the 'Large Herniated Disc' had disappeared?? So I sat in a hospital bed for a week to get a nerve block injection (which can be done as an outpatient treatment.) It's been a strange and stressful week. I guess not having to have an operation is a good thing, but I'm not confident what they have done will make a difference. Private next time!

Back to making a mess in the workshop :wink:

Blimey WiZeR - that sounds like a right nightmare. Hope it gets sorted in the end.

Cheers

Karl

I hope you have much better luck next time!

When I went in for an op a couple of years ago, they couldn't even guarantee me a bed! And as soon as I was ready to go home, they were almost pushing me out the front door! :shock:

Maybe you should take a stack of woodworking magazines with you next time, just in case history repeats itself! :wink: :D

Back