Is this good wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just ordered some wood to make doors for my workshop, and after reading some information on here about the impressive qualities of linseed finishes, decided to use softwood to keep costs down.
Seeing as this would be so much cheaper than hardwood, I went for the best timber I could, so this is apparently sawn, clear, unsorted redwood, the highest grade that this supplier sells, and I quote:

Unsorted Joinery (Premium Grade)
This is the best quality joinery timber, where the lower grades have been removed (sorted). Unsorted Joinery is mainly used where the visible finish is of paramount importance, such as doors, windows or stairs. Unsorted is also used for skirtings, architraves and other internal mouldings where a high quality finish is essential.
Unsorted Joinery has a low knot content, straight grain and a smooth finish

What i'd like to know is, is what I have received an acceptable quality? It seemed a bit iffy to me but then this is the first time i've ordered 'quality' wood.

So, is this an acceptable knot content:

Is this acceptable cupping?

This split goes nearly a metre into the plank:

And is this sort of handling damage acceptable, bear in mind thats a 50x250mm plank:

Any advice appreciated, I've a mind to send it all back but am I expecting too much?

I would say it doesn't look too bad.
The knots don't look dead/loose and not a huge amount for redwood.
The cupping will easily be taken out through planning and thicknessing to size. As will, hopefully the damage.
I would be a little frustrated with the split, but that's one of the reasons that when ordering sawn timber you have to order more to allow for wasteage.

Looks good to me, you will find that with the 225 wide boards it's often got the pith in the centre with splits and clear each side which should allow you to get a stile each side and an inch or so of waste in the middle. I think you'll find that will make nice doors.

Aside from the split it looks alright to me. Bit of damage is to be expected and the knots look small and solid. If I were ordering dozens of boards, I would expect a split or two, it seems you only ordered about 6 and for a smaller number I would not expect to see such a large split on one board.

It's not too bad, I would however look into swapping out the split plank and maybe the one with the handling damage if that isn't going to be painted.

I've had a couple of orders with iffy planks and they have been happy to swap them out - issues like this can sometimes occur because the supplier is low on stock and has given you the best of what's left - if time isn't a factor you'll be able to get two replacements from the next delivery to the supplier.

If you are at all concerned about the knots, you can drill them out and replace with dowels.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess it will all look a lot nicer once it's had a few passes over the machines.
The only issue with the splits is that I'm having very wide stiles (around 190mm) so I won't be ripping these boards in half, just trimming one edge, so I hope I can avoid any split areas.
I think I can live with the largest split piece because I ordered and paid for 8 x 3.0m lengths and actually received 6x 4.2m lengths so have ended up with over a metre for free anyway. Luckily I can still make all the stiles from the lengths I have been given, this might have been an issue if my doors were over 2m high.

Time to make some sawdust then...

Which timber yard did you use Dandan? I'm just further along the Solent from you so I'm familiar with most of the local suppliers.

Incidentally, I'd accept those boards, to my mind they're within spec.

That was Sydenhams, is that a swear word around here?
I used them because, well, it wasn't hardwood, and I get free delivery which is handy.
Do you have any leads on a local supplier for hardwood? I'll have to bite the bullet and buy some eventually if i'm ever going to make some furniture...

Nothing wrong with Sydenhams.

You're in luck, there are some great hardwood timber yards within an hour or two of Southampton. English Woodlands Timber, Tylers, Surrey Timbers, Timberline for real exotics, or Goodwillie's for basic hardwoods. There are a few smaller yards hidden away in the New Forest and at a pinch you could always make a day of it and drive out to Yandles.

If you're serious about making furniture PM me, I'm a full time cabinet maker at the Western end of the Solent and I'm happy to help you get up and running.

Latest posts

Back