Unsorted grade Redwood or maybe not.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The end of the pack shouldn't be any worse than the start of the pack, if the yard does a proper job and just sells it as it comes from the pack, without selecting it.

Yes you can't even by 5th Redwood for that now 🙄. Even heard of companies selling 25 x 50mm B.S. battens at £800 - £820m3 🤣

Quite right too - you shouldn't buy from a yard which sorts it or allows you to sort it - it should just come off the top of the pile which was graded as "unsorted" by the Swedish supplier. If some one has been there before you it is no longer "unsorted".
You can always complain if it really isn't up to scratch and maybe get a refund.
If the yard sorts it for its own purposes whatever is left should be sold as "5ths" or some similar description.
It works both ways - a rep has pointed me to an exceptional stock they have, graded as fifths but actually much better. The yard still sold it at fifths price.
Gaffs stuff above looks like very good 5ths at least, but if "unsorted" you'd expect one or two even better boards amongst them.

Absolutely right, as you have mentioned you'll end up with a pile of 3 - 4 grade (mainly 4) which would then have to be downgraded in price.

I was with one of our order pickers the other day and he was getting out some 25 x 100mm 5th Redwood PAR for an order, out of a row of 10 boards there were easily 4 - 5 that could have been graded out and sold as Unsorted.

Have you tried southern yellow pine. I've had good results with it. Its only a little more expensive than tulipwood /poplar. Can't remember exactly off the top of my head. Flat, straight and no knots. Youde have to dimension it yourself....

Some boards there no different (worse?) than your first photo?
Have a look at some 5ths - they'll have much bigger knots.
The boards in that photo are much better. The quantity of boards full of knots I was getting per m3 back then was less. I dragged some old (before COVID) 6” boards out of my pile last week and they were pretty good as well. Fingers crossed when the demand drops down a bit the quality will go back to where it use to be.

Have you tried southern yellow pine. I've had good results with it. Its only a little more expensive than tulipwood /poplar. Can't remember exactly off the top of my head. Flat, straight and no knots. Youde have to dimension it yourself....

very hard to get hold of though, would love to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back