Quality of tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Dininterior and anyone else with old machines that are physically fine apart from their power source. This article gives you the heads up, but you can link nearly any new/old system together. So you could switch to a LifePo etc of a new machine but still use all your old stuff at the cost of a few adapters.
https://hackaday.com/2018/02/20/cross-b ... ry-family/

powertools":3ne6mg4m said:
We all like nice tools but sometimes we just don't need them.
I have recently finished a massive diy project I needed a concrete breaker that would be used on and off over a period of time so that would have made hiring one every time I needed it very expensive.
I purchased a cheap 15kg Titan breaker from Screwfix that did everything I wanted it to do and is still going strong.
I will never have any more use for it so for the price it was the best tool for the job in my situation if I were digging up concrete floors for a living I would have purchased the best.

That's exactly the way I've done it in the past. But I still tend to get something decent if the job has been a large one. But when I cost it all up with the potential hire costs, I then also factor in what I am going to get for it when I then stick it on eBay. And my thinking here is that a reputable brand will sell a lot easier.

Then again, I might have another use for it later on ............. 8)

If I'm working out hire costs, I usually double the estimate - something will always crop up to hinder the job. I bought a decent sixteen rung extension ladder about eighteen years ago when I was having a large chimney rebuilt. Swmbo went nuts, but it cost me £90 ........... to hire one was £47.50 a week. Foul weather, and the job lasted seven weeks. A major re dec (14 x 5 litres of paint and three seperate scaffolds) years later took eight weeks. I sold it for £30 when we moved to a bungalow thirteen years later.

Back