[Q] What is this hand tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to have the Buck and Hickman catalogue out, and I honestly don't think it's a scraper. Three-sided, yup. Four? Apparently not. I'd go with reamer, if pushed.

I would have to agree with the post that states that it is a babbitt bearing reamer (smoother, shaper ) as in an episode of woodwrights shop I saw an extremely similar weapon wielded to that purpose. The guests on that show ran a sash making shop powered by flat belts and lovely and lethal looking machines that they had restored. Part of the show dealt with restoration and maintenance featuring said reamer as well as the wickedest belt stapling device you could imagine. I guess that means my vote is in the babbitt camp.

Alf":21id63m4 said:
I happened to have the Buck and Hickman catalogue out, and I honestly don't think it's a scraper. Three-sided, yup. Four? Apparently not. I'd go with reamer, if pushed.

I've found online reference to triangular scrapers. I'm slightly confused; the "classic" bearing scraper has a smooth shaft ending in a sharpened cutting head, and you use the shaft as a handle to apply pressure and control during use.

fig110.jpg

If the whole length of the edges are sharpened, these 3 and 4 sided scrapers must be handled in a quite different way.

BugBear

Thats why I don't think its a scraper, all the ones I have seen the flutes do not go all the way upto the handle, something like this, one hand on teh handle the other on the plain shank above the cutting edge and the tool is drawn sideways over the surface.

http://www.toolbank.com/p/C3177/FAIEHST4

The drawing you have just posted is a flat scraper where the end of the tool has the cutting edge, think of it as a chisel with a 85degree bevel. and the toop is pushed away from the user to scrape the surface.

Jason

Those are the designs with which I am also familiar. The OP's tool would be rather uncomfortable to use as a scraper actually.

Roy.

bugbear":pqn0jd1r said:
Alf":pqn0jd1r said:

I've found online reference to triangular scrapers. I'm slightly confused; the "classic" bearing scraper has a smooth shaft ending in a sharpened cutting head, and you use the shaft as a handle to apply pressure and control during use.

fig110.jpg

If the whole length of the edges are sharpened, these 3 and 4 sided scrapers must be handled in a quite different way.

BugBear

The scraper pictured above is used to hand scrape cast iron or other machined surfaces to get them flat. It is used on areas like the ways of metal lathes, milling machine tables, or areas where machined surfaces must bolt together with a very fine tolerance. Here's a description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_scraper

Bearing scrapers used on babbitt or white metal use the same overall approach, but babbitt metal is much softer than cast iron and it doesn't take as much force, so you can scrape sideways along the curve of the bearing (as opposed to along the axis).

I still think the mystery tool is a scraper, but I don't know anything about broaches so I suppose that's a possibility.

Kirk

You are thinking of keyway broached, you can also get square and hex ones, they are driven through a hole and each tooth is a little larger than the previous so take sa small shaving off until the shape or keyway is formed.

Jewlers and cutting broaches look more like a reamer and have several flutes (must admit most are 5 not 4 flute)

http://www.hswalsh.com/Large_Clock_Broa ... 62-Z&c=703

I also thought the boat building "nails" used with the copper washers were refered to as rivits

Jason

To me they are rivets as well Jason as the end is turned over to prevent them coming loose, but boat builders call them nails in my experience.
Here in west Wales almost every coastal village once built boats, and I very much doubt that anything but hand tools were used, wooden pegs, dowels to you and me, were also used, but not at the ends of the planks as the planks could 'spring' and pull the dowel out. Hence 'sprung a leak'.
Only a screw, nut and bolt or a clenched nail would prevent that, or 'stitching' of course, but I doubt that method has been used in the UK for many many years.

Roy.

Back