Push Blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
I really struggle to use these but having just returned from A&E where they stitched back on the tip of my finger I think I might have to persevere with them to avoid repeat - and possibly worse - incidents. Safety first, folks, do as I say, not as I did.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Can I ask, was you using the push block on a router table or table saw?

I know youre going to say "ohh, thats expensive" but I bought the Micro jig GRRipper last year, and I use that a lot more than I used to use old bits of wood.
It can fit almost any shape and I actually enjoy configuring it. Its almost like a meccano set.
I use it on router table and bandsaw equally.

Roughcut":1wpu4vdc said:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Can I ask, was you using the push block on a router table or table saw?

Neither, I was using a planer. The piece kicked backwards and my hand went into the spinning drum. I got off lightly, it's hurt more when trapped in a car door or pinched between lengths of timber etc, but it did slice almost right through my finger tip leaving it like a hinged lid. Four stitches and a tube of glue are now holding it together and I'm barred from the workshop for at least the rest of the week. First job will be clearing up the blood, it looks like an abbatoir in there at the moment.

Whoaaaa . you made my toes curl reading this, i had a slightly similar happening when installing a wood floor, i was using a jigsaw and it jump out and bit my thumb. Boy that ******* hurt, passed out the lot. Wife called and ambulance as i had a heart condition. Nuff said, hope all is mending ok.

Keep those digits safe guys, all of our tools are waiting to bite us.

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse... as bad as it sounds, all digits are at least still there. Good luck with the recovery (and the cleaning)!

hawkeyefxr":2cjshpcn said:
Whoaaaa . you made my toes curl reading this, i had a slightly similar happening when installing a wood floor, i was using a jigsaw and it jump out and bit my thumb. Boy that ******* hurt, passed out the lot. Wife called and ambulance as i had a heart condition. Nuff said, hope all is mending ok.

Keep those digits safe guys, all of our tools are waiting to bite us.

I've had the planer a little while now nut rarely use it, one because the blades needed changing but largely because it bloody terrifies me. I got round to changing the blades at the weekend and - not being particularly mechanically minded - was pretty impressed that I managed to swap them out and align the replacements as per Alan Parfitt's video without much fuss. Spent yesterday planing, ripping, thicknessing and planing again several lengths of sawn 75mm x 47mm without incident and did a few more pieces this morning/ I had a small piece of walnut with a slight cup and thought I'd take that out while it was all set up and bang.

Maybe the piece was too small and would have been better on the disc sander. I feel more stupid than pained and my nice new overall is all covered in blood!

You know the drill, pictures are needed to make us more careful.

Pete

Not much to show after the neat stitch up and bandage job. Other good news is the walnut survived undamaged!

Attachments

• severed.jpg
    severed.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 249
sunnybob":2j6f2egp said:
I know youre going to say "ohh, thats expensive" but I bought the Micro jig GRRipper last year, and I use that a lot more than I used to use old bits of wood.
It can fit almost any shape and I actually enjoy configuring it. Its almost like a meccano set.
I use it on router table and bandsaw equally.

They do look expensive but then what price a digit? Where did you buy yours from? Rutlands have them on offer and - typically - are out of stock, amazon are 50-100% dearer and all the ones on ebay come from the States.

I'm embarrased to say I cant remember the name, but its one of the guys on here who has a shop. i paid about half the full retail price (somewhere around £70 if I recall correctly).
I will try to remember if no one comes forwards to help me out.

EDIT....
Found it through my paypal accounts,
Woodworkers workshop. I paid 80 for the jig but also bought the accessory heel kit, which I admit I have not used yet, and dont think I will.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... push-block

Push blocks are fundamentally dangerous. They put your hands too close to the cutters and have you over-reaching towards the end of the pass. They should be avoided.
Push sticks are fundamentally much safer and keep your hands well out of the way and extend your reach with no over-reaching necessary.
The standard pattern is best and you should have two of them always to hand near the machine. They are very cheap but disposable - make copies from ply or mdf.
You get used to them very quickly and they actually increase your dexterity and control.

Woodmax_push_stick__22292.1313643530.1200.1200.jpg

Jacob, check out the micro jig link I just posted. You cant get safer than that at any price.

sunnybob":ncaorapk said:
Jacob, check out the micro jig link I just posted. You cant get safer than that at any price.
Had a look. I can't see the point of it at all. What a clumsy, expensive and over-designed item!
Push sticks much safer at a fraction of the price!

First rule of woodworking according to David Savage "though shalt not bleed on the work"

In all seriousness glad it's not worse and heel quick

Jacob":1yaxsssz said:
sunnybob":1yaxsssz said:
Had a look. I can't see the point of it at all. What a clumsy, expensive and over-designed item!
Push sticks much safer at a fraction of the price!

Had I at least been using a push block it might well have been that to have been chewed up and not my finger. I can't recall ever seeing anyone use a pushstick on a planer, only ever seen the use of blocks.

Hi Lonsdale

Sorry about your incident, hope it heels up quickly!

Just so I can learn from this, you were feeding the wood right to left and your left hand was past the cutters when the board kicked back and your left hand was pulled by the momentum into the exposed blades? That sound about right?

I don't use my own planer as a) it's rubbish, and b) I'm scared of it! I've seen the arguments on here about hands only v pushblocks v pushsticks and I'm still unsure as to the safest way to use it!

Jacob":3fxkngkm said:
I can't see the point of it at all. What a clumsy, expensive and over-designed item!

Same as the Leopard 2A7 tank, but you'd want one in a struggle. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back