Purple meths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice that AG Woodcare and Restorate now only sell purple meths. This is fine for stripping, but does it affect the colour when mixed with shellac, either while applying or on the final finish? Is it worth getting industrial clear meths?

The purple is a dye, so you would expect to see a difference.

Luckily we can buy ethanol in the supermarket for very little money, which is great, as the smell of meths makes me want to do a big spit.

I've found that if you leave the purple meths bottle in the light/sunlight for a couple of months it fades to clear.

I'm just finishing a guitar in shellac, using purple meths. Can't see any effect, nor on the 30 or 40 previous instruments I've done in shellac. It's a thin film finish and, as @robgul says, the purple dye fades fast in light.

Doesn't make it any more drinkable though!
Red diesel fades too.

The problem with red diesel and using it in a car on the road is that regardless of colour it has some sort of "trace" in it that tests positive . . . years ago when I had a diesel LandRover I was stopped a couple of times and had the tank dipped by the Customs & Excise people (innocent!) - they also said that the trace can be identified even if red had only been used once followed by legal stuff ... something about the pump or injectors?

I believe the bioethanol you can buy at B&Q etc or online is basically the same as meths

I use meths for a totally different purpose (lightweight backpacking, use it in my trail designs tri-tri stove/cone) and I am not a fan of the strong purple died stuff, so I just use bioethanol and mix about 10% normal meths back in so it still has come colour (so I can see how full the stove is)

All my research in that area suggested it's basically the same product but without the dye

They use a purple indicator chemical to make the meth purple, as stated above the indicator changes colour when in sunlight
It also loses colour when you add a Caustic Soda prill/crystal to it . About a match head size which changes the pH from acid to alkali . The Safety Data sheet list its pH as 7 so the Caustic soda added wil just raise the pH to the colourless alkali range.
I believe they use PhenolThalein indicator as the colourant. Its been a long time since I worked as an Analytical Chemist so don't have access to a lab to properly identify the colourant

Last edited:
The purple is a dye, so you would expect to see a difference.

Luckily we can buy ethanol in the supermarket for very little money, which is great, as the smell of meths makes me want to do a big spit.
Are you referring to nail polish remover? Would you mind letting me know which supermarket and product? I ask because I tried buying this once and accidentally bought a non-flammable alternative that didn't do anything I needed it to do!

I believe the bioethanol you can buy at B&Q etc or online is basically the same as meths

I use meths for a totally different purpose (lightweight backpacking, use it in my trail designs tri-tri stove/cone) and I am not a fan of the strong purple died stuff, so I just use bioethanol and mix about 10% normal meths back in so it still has come colour (so I can see how full the stove is)

All my research in that area suggested it's basically the same product but without the dye
Alcool a bruler usually sold with 5 to 10% water. It burns cleaner, less soot on your Trangia pans etc.
We always add a bit to meths on the assumption that it's 100% ethanol/methanol mix.

Last edited:
Are you referring to nail polish remover?
That's acetone, which I've read makes a great penetrating fluid when mixed with ATF
or likely something more readily found on this side of the pond.
I've read it evaporates fairly quickly, so for one offs, that comes across as a practical solution to me?

I notice that AG Woodcare and Restorate now only sell purple meths. This is fine for stripping, but does it affect the colour when mixed with shellac, either while applying or on the final finish? Is it worth getting industrial clear meths?
I have always used Morrell's Finishing Spirit which is alcohol with a little shellac added, I believe. If you have a Moreels near you that might be an easy answer.

Jim

They use a purple indicator chemical to make the meth purple, as stated above the indicator changes colour when in sunlight
It also loses colour when you add a Caustic Soda prill/crystal to it . About a match head size which changes the pH from acid to alkali . The Safety Data sheet list its pH as 7 so the Caustic soda added wil just raise the pH to the colourless alkali range.
I believe they use PhenolThalein indicator as the colourant. Its been a long time since I worked as an Analytical Chemist so don't have access to a lab to properly identify the colourant
The dye used is methyl violet ….it’s an irritant which if ingested would make you vomit….thus reducing potential methanol poisoning.

Phenolthalain as you state is an acid-alkali indicator …..not poisonous but it an extremely powerful laxative !!!!

Phenolthalain as you state is an acid-alkali indicator …..not poisonous but it an extremely powerful laxative !!!!
That's worth bearing in mind - could make a change from the old senna pods.

It’s a very very unpleasant experience ….was a lab trick 50 years ago to put some in your mug of tea ….totally taste & odourless….but the gut spasms it causes are horrid and violent ejection of your bowel contents

In tablet form it’s 1mg ….so imagine what a squirt from an eye dropper does …..how do I know - well it was done to me in the late 1970’s

Last edited:
After all the smart a$$ replies about drinking meths, I'll venture a straightforward answer:
No, it does not discolour your finish in my experience.

Are you referring to nail polish remover? Would you mind letting me know which supermarket and product? I ask because I tried buying this once and accidentally bought a non-flammable alternative that didn't do anything I needed it to do!
No, we can get ethanol here in Denmark at any old supermarket.

Latest posts

Back