Removing intumescent paint from a fire door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtian170174

Reaction score
PXL_20231108_134341954.jpg

Here I've had a go up a 6" wide edge of a fire door using a heat gun, soon finding it very arduous, certain to trigger the symptoms of spondylosis if spending longer - not to mention expense with a 2kW appliance and the narrow strip removed so far taking easily an hour or so.

...This steady scraping method will probably be the least impacting overall on the surface beneath in terms of finish, and least messy as there were only fine slivers to sweep up - barely affected by the heat and so no fumes either....

It is not the way to go though, and while I look at paint stripper solvents, I find a lack of committed information on the type of paint I'm trying to remove that I can also easily use with volume/coverage information.

In short, I'm looking for the best advice on a product suited to this purpose - I'll probably strip the entire door if I have enough product, but ample for one side will be enough as it will become a workbench surface, the underside can therefore stay as is with whatever benefit that affords it.
I appreciate aspects of this job - like extra coats of paint that will confound a single application - will likely make even the best volume estimate possibly as low as 50%, 33% or just 25% accurate - but just knowing the ideal product
for the job will get it started; and e.g. like those that are certainly suited specifying an optimum temperature of 25°C, as something I'll try sustain if there are no other products without this caveat...

...Any pointers?

Last edited:
Are you sure it's intumescent paint, as a fire door will get its rating from its construction and not its coating?

Are you repainting it? If so, there is no need to strip it. Sand to key the coating then apply the new system. If you're staining it, it's a going to be a messy job. If heats not removing it, then chemical (look at peelaway) or sanding are your next options.

Latest posts

Back