Providing no value at all...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread [different forum?] I was selling off all my metal bench planes and going with woodies. Replacement wood planes have arrived over the last month or so and I will add a couple new ones and a couple I plan on making along traditional lines.

I recently received this smoother from Clark & Williams. While I didn't take a picture of it "in action," I did get the mess cleaned up before Dina got home: I was planing a cabinet in our office...

I cannot take credit for saving my pennies for this as it was a gift from a very generous person. In fact, receiving it allowed me to sell the last of my metal and wood Knight smoothers.

So here it is, for your viewing enjoyment.

cw_ws.jpg

Take care, Mike

Hmmm....tasty, Mike! How about some "action" shots?? And a review once you've spent some time with it??
Merry Xmas,
Philly :D

cor mike looks very much like my nooitgedagt one.

i hope the throat is cleaner and better finished though.
does take a nice shaving though.

paul :wink:

Hi Mike

In fact, receiving it allowed me to sell the last of my metal and wood Knight smoothers.

Don't want to open a discussion about woodies <-> metal planes here, but why do you mention Knight's planes in the same context? Do you find any general drawbacks with them? Why do you prefer C&W's planes before Knight's (I personally don't know the first)?

Regards

Philipp

Hi Everyone,

Phil--there will be some pictures down the road. Problem is, a smoother is one of those planes which at least for me sees the least use. Which means pictures of meaning will wait until another project gets to the stage of smoothing. All else are canned pictures...

Paul--when I next take pictures, I'll take some of the mouth and throat. Very nicely made.

Philipp--my only mention of the remaining Knight smoother being sold off is in the context of the new planes being traditional in shape, which Steve's planes are not. My Knight smoothers--I had 4 of them for quite some time--2 of them took every bit as good a shaving as this C&W. 3 of the Knight smoothers I sold when I started making saws simply because they had greater value being larger coffin smoothers. I also sold many other tools, both power and hand tools.

My larger idea is I plan on making a traditional chest along the lines of the Phyfe / Seaton chests and over time fill it with both vintage and newly made tools in keeping with the period.

So over time, all my tools will be of a certain period, albeit not of precisely the same period. But in style, they will mostly agree.

Take care, Mike

engineer one":i1erxkvd said:
cor mike looks very much like my nooitgedagt one.

i hope the throat is cleaner and better finished though.
does take a nice shaving though.

I have a couple of of their planes too engineer, a coffin smoother that my Dad got in France, and a front horn one off of ebay. They are very good actually (considering the price) needing a little fettling on the sole for level and smoothen out the inside of the mouth a little and the wedge points so the shavings dont catch so easy. And the blades are thick, no chatter. I use them to hog off large chamfers, also on end grain. The front horn style is OK by me, only problem was that the wedge shaped back hand hold (dont know the proper name) simply "came apart" and fell off :shock: :lol: . But once glued back on and a reinforcing screw added, no further problems :lol: :

I bought one of those Dutch horn handled woodie planes off ebay. Unfortunately the mouth and bed were a little roughly cut. Actually the blade is very good and a great improvement over the modern Stanley type. A real pity but if a little more care/accuracy had been taken over it's manufacture then it would be a very good plane indeed.

well since they don't make anything any more, its a drag.
i agree that their manufacturing skills were off occassionally, but as you say, great blades that really sharpen well. i like my smoother, but am bored having to make the wedge and mouth work better. and as for the frog rear handle a bloody great nail seems to be the answer :lol:

engineer one":303rm8cz said:
as for the frog rear handle a bloody great nail seems to be the answer :lol: paul :wink:

So did you have the same thing happen and the handle snapped off? :lol: I really should have formed a new handle with a small round tennon on it and fox wedged it into a suitable hole in the body.
Do you know what the wood is that they used to make the lanimated soles on those nootgadegt planes, its not the same wood as on the ECE smoothing plane sole; it almost looks like oak but I'm not sure, any ideas?

PS Mike good for you selecting wood planes :lol: The Clark and williams planes seem like what a gold star top of the range Marples would have been like if marples were still in business today.

Hi Tony,

Specifically the metal bench planes. The couple metal plows will remain, spokeshave and what not.

I chose to sell them as I am going to make a blended recreation of a tool chest, based mostly on the Phyfe and Seaton chests. And so I desire to fill it with mostly period appropriate tools whether vintage or new based upon the period.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But now I have the time to do some woodwork which pleases me, seeing how my last long overdue commission recently left the premises. I have long wanted to build such a chest.

Over the years I have saved up some wonderful crotch Mahogany veneers, Ebony, Holly for stringing and some Ivory bits and pieces, all with the intent of doing this. At least if I can find it all...

Take care, Mike

Sounds lovely Mike and having seen your output lately, a well deserved relaxation project.
Sort of reminds me of thoughts that went through my head whilst 'chopping' big mortices with the hollow chisel jobby earlier today.

The thought? Well, perhaps the subject of another thread :wink:

Looking forward to a few photos whilst you build it.

Looks nice Mike.

Look forward to seeing that Chest one day. And Merry Christmas mate. Hope you have a lovely day with family and all.

Back