Protecting tools from the cold

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
So, this cold snap has me thinking about my tools, which are all in the loft. It's uninsulated and has my power tools and hand tools.

Does anyone here worry about their tools getting to sub zero temps? Anything I should do like put a blanket over them ? Haha

Most of the tools are inexpensive but I do have a couple of expensive items like a festool domino and dewalt tracksaw

Regards
S

So, this cold snap has me thinking about my tools, which are all in the loft. It's uninsulated and has my power tools and hand tools.

Does anyone here worry about their tools getting to sub zero temps? Anything I should do like put a blanket over them ? Haha

Most of the tools are inexpensive but I do have a couple of expensive items like a festool domino and dewalt tracksaw

Regards
S
Hello, they can all suffer if not looked after. Mildew, surface rust, mice chewing cables, can all happen. Coat tools in oil, put down traps and make sure it is not damp. You might be better off storing them under bed
Regards

I think as well as protecting your cutting tools with oil or similar then heating of some kind is your best defence, no two lofts are the same in terms of size, ventilation, humidity, insulation etc . What type of heating boiler do you have ? Can you board off the roof and insulate in between. A couple of radiators installed will help during the day to generate heat and humidity can be overcome with a dehumidifier. Obviously this will cost you money but even cheap tools cost money.

I have heard of people using an old broken fridge, the logic being they are fairly airtight so no damp moisture can get in.
I'm not sure if you can get one into your loft though..

Don't charge Lithium batteries if they are freezing cold. It can damage them. Electric cars have to be clever about this and warm the batteries before charging them in extreme conditions.
You can use the tool with a cold battery but it may not give you as much runtime.
Damp is the problem. I strongly recommend buying big (50g or 100g) bags of silica gel (ebay) and tossing one in each systainer.
Regenerate these every few months by giving them 1 minute on full immediately followed by 15 mins defrost in the microwave.
You'll be amazed how much steam is driven out of them.
Colour indicating silica gel makes it easy to see when they need cooking again.

Cold is otherwise not an issue. The rust chemical reaction is much slower in low temperatures. Like with workshop machines, the hazard is bringing cold tools from the loft into the warm damp of the living areas and getting condensation on your tools. Take them straight outdoors to use without opening the box perhaps.

It's not really any different from working outdoors into the evening. Around here at this time of year, as it goes dark there's a lot of dew and it always seems to condense on my tools, because black toolboxes etc cool down fast. Dry your kit before putting it away.

I don’t worry about them getting cold, but damp is bad.
Particularly if you have 'vented' downlighters through the ceilings of the rooms below. The moisture from the house nips up into the roof through these, condenses on the underside of the roofing felt and then drip all over the place. I have seen a fair quantity of ice form on the underside of the felt!

Thanks all.
Heating the loft is not really an option - it's large and drafty, and I'd need to do some work to get it heated. But, the good news is it gets very cold, but it's relatively dry because of the good airflow.
Moisture tends to be introduced from when I open the hatch and around the spotlights, as Pedronicus menitoned.

silica gel ordered - thanks for that tip! I never knew you could rejuvenate them!

I've moved my batteries and precious tools under the bed - haha! Right, a little more peace of mind now :)

Thanks all.
Heating the loft is not really an option - it's large and drafty, and I'd need to do some work to get it heated. But, the good news is it gets very cold, but it's relatively dry because of the good airflow.
Moisture tends to be introduced from when I open the hatch and around the spotlights, as Pedronicus menitoned.

silica gel ordered - thanks for that tip! I never knew you could rejuvenate them!

I've moved my batteries and precious tools under the bed - haha! Right, a little more peace of mind now :)
Put them in the bed tucked up tightly under the duvet...............................................................and stick the wife up in the loft!

imo this is the perfect weather, cold and dry is best for tools, it's during summer and autumn time when I have the biggest problems with rust because of the high amount of moisture in the air.

If anyone is wondering, this is what I ordered:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08X1Z5L2B 1kg Silica Gel (colour indicator)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWill-Christmas-Birthday-Anniversary-Supplies/dp/B09KL5DQXY/ little reusable bags
Silica gel looks v good value.
You can buy it prepacked in sachets but another trick I'm trying is to buy cheap plastic kitchen screw top pots, cut out most of the lid and screw the remainder down down over a disk of very fine stainless mesh. That is surprisingly cheap from Amazon too and cuts with workshop snips

I cannot comment about power tools but cold doesn't seem to harm my hand tools. My uninsulated, unheated workshop can get to around -30C. I just leave (abandon might be a more accurate term) my tools there with no ill effects.

Obviously supplies such as glues and finishes are another matter.

Silica gel looks v good value.
You can buy it prepacked in sachets but another trick I'm trying is to buy cheap plastic kitchen screw top pots, cut out most of the lid and screw the remainder down down over a disk of very fine stainless mesh. That is surprisingly cheap from Amazon too and cuts with workshop snips
That's a good idea!

Maybe even, cheap pepper shakers from the pounds shop!!

I cannot comment about power tools but cold doesn't seem to harm my hand tools. My uninsulated, unheated workshop can get to around -30C. I just leave (abandon might be a more accurate term) my tools there with no ill effects.

Obviously supplies such as glues and finishes are another matter.
What do you do with glues/liquids/paints?

Knock up a few boxes out of 50mm polystyrene, just taped up, or used king span, lob in your tools and lob in some silica bags, lid them with more insulation, any left over insulation leave on floor and put each insulated box on top of that.
Or stuff under bed to hibernate over winter.

Back