Problems?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been given a section of Monkey Puzzle tree trunk. It is very dry.
I have never turned this wood before, but some turner friends tell me that it is difficult stuff to turn, particularly in respect to the heartwood.
Any advice, please.

Not something I have turned but with sharp tools and the right approach it should be doable. The branches tend to come out like spokes from a wheel all at the same level so a lot of turners use that as a feature. That means you will be cutting hard and soft wood as the thing spins. Its basically a pine but the knots will be a lot harder than the rest so the tools will have to be kept sharp. Here in Oz there is a similar tree the Norfolk Island pine (NIP for short) and a lot of turners like it but others are not so keen. I would say do some research and then make an informed decision. Anyhow this clip shows it can be done.
Woodturning - The Monkey Puzzle - YouTube
Regards
John

Just to add to John's points above you will be turning end grain rather than the usual cross grain bowl orientation. Not too hard if you've ever turned goblets.

Back