Turning a bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Keen

A true craftsman makes a job look easey
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a bit of experience turning wood but mainly small pieces, (table lamp, light house)
I recently cut a chunk of trunk found in the woods, I have no idea what it is, but have the ambition of turning a bowl,
I am some what apprehensive, having never turned anything this big and heavy.
I do realise it will have to be cut smaller, but which way to get the most out of it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
DSC03769.JPG
DSC03770.JPG

Last edited:
I would spl;it your log in half along its length giving you 2 semicircular blanks. You can then lay them flat face down and cut a circular blank on a bandsaw. If you dont have a bandsaw then cut the corners off to make an octagon
You then have to decide which way you want turn the bowl out of the blank ie with the foot to the centre or with the foot to the outside

I would spl;it your log in half along its length giving you 2 semicircular blanks. You can then lay them flat face down and cut a circular blank on a bandsaw. If you dont have a bandsaw then cut the corners off to make an octagon
You then have to decide which way you want turn the bowl out of the blank ie with the foot to the centre or with the foot to the outside
Thanks for your help,
Your right I don't have a band saw, (oh! for the luxury) will bring out the hand saw and have a go, :D

As Hornbeam says split it in half. Its good practice to avoid the pith (heart of the log) in the finished piece as cracks tend to start from there. A line at 90* to the line you drew aiming to cut out both hearts. If you intend storing the blanks then get rid of the pith now. Crotch pieces like that show up some interesting grain in the finished item.
Regards
John

Back