Record CL1 tailstock alignment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Recently picked up a CL1 as my first entry into turning. I think it was previously used for mainly bowl turning. I'm struggling getting the tailstock to align. I've gone through and checked the bench is level and the bars are level, but still no joy. It seems the "feet" of the tailstock are quite unlevel. Any experiences or advice? Thanks.

The clamping plates of the tailstock and headstock are handed and need to be the correct way round. Check that both sets of clamps are the same way round by looking at the aligning pads ,- which are probably the "roughness" that you are seeing.

The clamping plates of the tailstock and headstock are handed and need to be the correct way round. Check that both sets of clamps are the same way round by looking at the aligning pads ,- which are probably the "roughness" that you are seeing.
Thanks, Duncan. I found out about that online and tried it, but it doesn't seem to make too much difference. When the tailstock is placed on the bars, the three "feet" (two at the back, one at the front) don't seem to let the tailstock sit level. I can see that they have been ground down at some point which I assume was what is done at the factory, but now I'm wondering if it's been a problem before. A small shim under the front foot seems to enable me to get things back aligned but I don't like that as a permanent solution.

Latest posts

Back