palm tree wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
Palm trees not common here up north in England, but two tree trunks been dumped by side of road here - very heavy, solid white wood trunk about 9ins diameter. 7 ft long. covered in hairy mesh of leaf bases.

Is this wood any use for making ?. turning ?

(I have heard that palm may not be kind to tools)

Might be a very old cordyline I've seen a magnificent specimen that sort of size with about 12 different trunks and probably 20 foot plus tall
No idea what it turns like

Might be a very old cordyline I've seen a magnificent specimen that sort of size with about 12 different trunks and probably 20 foot plus tall
thanks - this got me searching ---- it looks like it's actually Mexican Fan Palm - native to Baja California but grown all over - which can grow to 30m (!) - see why they chopped it back

no info on the wood tho' - anyone??

There is a timber called Black Palm, on The Wood Data Base. which might well have similar characteristics to the wood you have. I've just read it, and it doesn't seem to be good for much and is difficult to work and finish.

I would imagine it could look very interesting, but will be fibrous and difficult to cut. I think palm is like banksia and the grain goes the other way to what you are expecting - all the cuts are in reverse.

If it proves impossible, but pretty you could always try some resin to set it?

If it is a palm, then the trunk is actually part of the root structure, not really wood in the sense of a tree trunk.
It may be heavy due to it retaining a lot more moisture than a tree trunk would.
If it is a trunk of a palm, it will be very fibrous, it will turn, but getting a smooth sanded finish on it might be a nightmare.

Try cutting a few chunks, wet turn one, dry one quickly in microwave/oven a dry one slowly in a dryer box and see what you get, at worst firewood but new knowledge gained, so no loss but plenty of learning!

Cordyline turns like carp, just a bunch of tightly packed fibres, stuff stinks and rots as it dries, the fibres in the centre are very loose and soft, I wouldn't even burn it.

Cordyline turns like carp, just a bunch of tightly packed fibres, stuff stinks and rots as it dries, the fibres in the centre are very loose and soft, I wouldn't even burn it.
In New Zealand settlers acually used Cordyline as chimneys for stoves, it is said that it burns like wet asbestos ie it doesnt!
Re Black palm, i was given a few offcuts of thick veneer a few years ago, very dark chocolately brown, with lighter flecks in it, very hard & silky to the touch.

Latest posts

Back