Building a gate between two growing trees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on how to build a decent gate between two trees.

Across the bottom of my garden is a stand of conifers. There is a gap between two of them which we've always used as a way through to the space, behind, which borders a stream and easy access for a dog out into the big wide world! Thus, I've bodged a gate of some kind for many years to keep dogs in. This has usually been a wooden frame with metal mesh, or whatever I could find, across it, and anchored to the trees either side with seat belt straps. Why? Because for many years the things were still growing, and even now that they seem to have stopped, they still move a lot. This seems to apply to the ground at their base. The root systems seem to move the ground enough to dislodge a heavy flag stone I laid there for dry footing.

The whole thing is finally falling apart and needs replacing. But I'm scratching my head over how to do a better job than the old bodge. One of our current dogs is an escape artist, so it needs to be better to ensure peace of mind. I've thought about pouring a floating concrete base and basically building a stand-alone framework between the trees, but if the ground moves, this base won't last long.

Any ideas?

Could you drive metal posts into the ground next to the two flanking trees? I'm thinking of box section with min 3mm walls. Depends on the ground - roots will be there at least. You could sharpen the ends to aid penetration. In a couple of feet ...

Can you not band on some 4x2 edge on to the tree using webbing, then mount the gate on it but have it over lapping so that it can move.

Make the securing bolt, a loop of webbing.

some dimensions would help. dist between trees, tree diameter etc and a couple of pics to help determine best course of action. But threaded rod anchors may be the way to go

Back