problems with setting planner blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how feasible it would be to add jacking screws to my planers block. It's one of those maxi combo26 and the planner block uses sprung wire to lift the blades up but this leads to frustrating setup times. I was looking at it and there's a big seat that these springs sit on about 8mm. Thinking along the lines of drill and taping holes and putting in grub screws. Maybe two 6mm grub screws? What do you think? :roll:

Alex

edit: got to start using preview before posting :oops:

Hello Alex, I have a planer which is similar in design but without springs! I made a thick board of MDF and drilled some holes along the leading edge, centre and trailing edge to accomodate Rare earth magnets. These are glued into place in the face of the MDF to be flush with it there are three rows of three along the length which is the same width as my planer bed. Get the blade to TDC and then slide the MDF along the outfeed table until it 'grabs' the tip of the blade. This then holds the blade at the correct height and in line with the outfeed table where you can then tighten the locking screws. Repeat this for the other blades and Bob's your uncle. Of course this only works for cast iron tables of course. :wink:

Hmm Mailee this sounds worth a try. So i'd have to remove the spring, not fixed spring so wouldn't be problem. So your saying the blades should be set level with outfeed at TDC?, I've always set them slight bit proud. I'm having a bit of trouble picturing that jig, do you have any pic's? I'll order some rare earth magnets tonight from ebay, anyone know a better place to get them before i order?

Alex

i wouldnt have thought drilling holes in your block would be a good idea as if you dont get the depth of them all exacly the same, you will have problems with balance and the risk of the block vibrating to bits.

I know Orange , but i'm pulling my hair out here with setup :x Mailee idea seems good I've just got to build a accurate way to measure both sides.

Alex

Alex":1a7v98e3 said:
Hmm Mailee this sounds worth a try. So i'd have to remove the spring, not fixed spring so wouldn't be problem. So your saying the blades should be set level with outfeed at TDC?, I've always set them slight bit proud. I'm having a bit of trouble picturing that jig, do you have any pic's? I'll order some rare earth magnets tonight from ebay, anyone know a better place to get them before i order?

Alex

I think this is what mailee means, Fred Page who bought the 6" version of my 8" asked how I set the blades so I did him this pic of how I did it on my old Record. My 8" planer has the grub screws so I don't use this method anymore.

Here's the pic
521530681_6b86b764f7.jpg

Alex, did you not get the set up block with your Maxi? Must admit setting the planer knives is one of the few things I don't complain about with it...

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for that one Lord Nibbo, so the paper thickness will take care of the off set height. :lol:
Alf- Yeh i've still got the cast iron bit and the TDC tool. But the blades are never quite right and i end up doing the lump of wood on the outfeed table trick, with fine adjustments that always seem to go wrong when they're about right. Mines got an AEG sticker on. Not bad machine, but i don't use it every day. I've learn to work around its inaccuracies and made up jigs to help. But who's perfect :lol: .

Yep your Lordship that is just about right although instead of the weight on the outfeed side I use magnets there too. Works well for me. :wink:

Alex, If you have spring loaded blades then there is no need for the magnets, just use the paper spacer and laminate sheet as earlier in the thread making sure the weight is heavy enough to defeat the srings.

hth

Bob

Alex, I have a maxi 26 and have used both the setting jig that comes with the maxi and also built one like Mailee describes.

I have found the Magnet design a little easier to use but you must ensure the blade is at tdc.

HTH

John

tiler99":bv3j2aiq said:
Can anyone confirm that the blades are set at outfeed table height ?

No, the blades should be slightly higher than outfeed height. If you imagine the planed surface as being a series of fine scallops:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

then it is bottom of those scallops (the feet of the n in the above no-expense-spared illustration) which need to be in line with the outfeed table. It's only a small amount, but it most certainly does matter.

Cheers
Steve

I suppose if the blades should be slightly up, using the above ideas would be good, level blade then a slightly twist on each grub screw to lift up?
Might try it on my SIP which takes me hours to get right other ways.

Steve Maskery":12nsdyea said:
tiler99":12nsdyea said:
Can anyone confirm that the blades are set at outfeed table height ?

No, the blades should be slightly higher than outfeed height. If you imagine the planed surface as being a series of fine scallops:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

then it is bottom of those scallops (the feet of the n in the above no-expense-spared illustration) which need to be in line with the outfeed table. It's only a small amount, but it most certainly does matter.

Cheers
Steve

Isn't that what the piece of paper in the drawing does? I.e. lift the blade a tiny bit higher than the outfeed table?

Mike

I have set planer blades on my Scheppach 260 with no problem for about 20 years using the same method and it gives a consistently good results and finish This is a two cutter block using HSS knives and grub screw adjusted. not spring loaded, so its not appropriate for me to comment on spring loaded, or reversible blade setups because I have not set up using these systems more than once or twice.
First thing I do is disconnect it from the power.
Next, after removing the blades/knives is to give the channels and wedge bars a good clean out with resin remover and fine wire wool to clean everything including the threads on the grub screws and blow the dust away from where the cutter block shaft leads into the bearing housings. any build up of resin or even rust here has a chance to begin to interfere with the seals of the bearings and once the seals are breached the bearing life is compromised.small point but pays off in the long run.

When everything is cleaned up and after a wipe down with light machine oil the knives and wedge bars go back into place ensuring that the wedge bars always go back into the channel that they came from......Yes, they should all be the same and interchangeable but if you want to experiment with balance and vibration go ahead, I stick to how the factory set them up......The factory set up has small weight reduction balancing holes drilled out in some, and these are for a reason.
Next is to bring the knives up to something like the position they should be in/ I always start with the outer two adjusters so the knife is roughly equal and level then bring the inner adjusters up to just make contact with the back of the knife.
Next a piece of 2x1 or anything handy that is roughly flat. laid across the outfeed table and straddling the cutter block for an inch or two and turn the block over TDC .This should be done alternatively at each end of the cutter block if the 2x1 moves say an inch or so then lower the knife at that end and if it fails to move when the cutter block is rotated then raise the knife at that end....Keep doing this until the movement at either end is minimal. tighten the knife locking bolts when the movement of the 2x1 is about 1/8" when the blade drags it as the cutter block is rotated over TDC at both ends
Carry adjusting on until both ends move the timber an equal amount, about 1/8" dragged forward for each end of the block. Making sure that you are turning the knives in the cutting direction of course!
Now replace the 2x1 with a steel rule. place the steel rule on the outfeed table overhanging the cutter block with an reference point aligned with the very edge of the outfeed table, it doesn`t matter at which point of the rule , its the amount it gets dragged forward when you turn the block as before that is important. Aim for between 1/16 and 1/8 " movement, the critical thing is to get the same result at both ends, and assuming the knives and tables are true then this "reading" should be the same along the whole width of the table.
Follow the same procedure for the next knife set up, aiming for the same amount of "drag" movement as the first knife, making sure that the locking nuts are tightened fully on each trial set up so you do not get a false reading
When you are happy that the movement of the test piece/rule is the same on all fully tightened knives when dragged over TDC then ensure all locking bolts are fully tightened ( You only ever need one planer knife spinning through the air at 20,000 RPM to remind you of the importance of this final check ) and set the guard over the cutter block. and power up.
If all is well at this point then you should get a good consistent cut with no surprise variations along the length of the work piece, especially at the beginning and end.
and never mix knives.......always use equally ground pairs of the same type and make

Many thanks Streepips for your very explanatory advice above. If I may I would only dispute one small point, the use of the steel rule, it would only need dropping on to a planer blade and you might get a knick. I use an ali. ruler myself.

I use the same method roughly as Streepips on my K439 but instead I use a bit of square planed oak with some knife lines on a 1mm intervals. I look for a 'carry forward' of about 2 or 3mm on the oak - Rob

Back