Problem with quick release mechanism of Record 52 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madra

Reaction score
UE0IX22.png

Bit of a stupid question, but I just want to make sure of something before I talk about a problem I'm having with an old Record 52 1/2. When the vice is tightened shut, you are supposed to be able to squeeze the quick release lever and the vice loosens and then you can slide it open with the QR lever still pressed? #-o

It seems the quick release mechanism on my vice is not functioning properly. The QR lever sticks regularly when pressed and won't pop back down again. If I slide the vice jaws closed while pressing the QR lever and then tighten slightly with the handle, I cannot open it again with the quick release lever as it is remains jammed upwards. When I open the vice again with the handle, the QR lever pops back down again. Alternatively, if I close the vice completely with the handle and leave the QR lever down, I cannot open the vice again by trying to squeeze the QR lever as it is jammed solid.

I can slide the vice open and closed with the QR pretty smoothly when it is unjammed, but if I slide it to where the jaws are almost closed and let go, the lever stays pressed tight.

From examining the vice when being opened and closed, it seems the QR sliding bar lifts slightly when the vice is tightened closed. Maybe this is why it is sticking

I'm just wondering what the problem could be? Should I be taking it apart and examining?

Well, I may be wrong, but the quick release as far as I know is designed to allow you to move the vice jaw quickly and should not be used when the vice is tight. I.e. The vice should be loose before its used.

I had a similar prob and it turned out that the mechanism wasn't installed quite correctly. I can't remember the details but it might be worth dismantling and putting back together again, thoughtfully!

PS and yes the QR is only for when the vice is loose and not under pressure.

I use a Record 53 1/2 and it does exactly the same as you mention. I've never regarded it as faulty or a problem, I presume that's just how it's meant to operate. When tightly closed I just give the handle a slight turn before using the quick release function.

I am really glad if it is meant to work this way, it is a beautiful vice restored and I don't know a lot about vices so I was conscious that my problem may be based on a misunderstanding by me of how a quick release vice actually works.

The sliding movement is smooth and I can open from almost closed (after loosening with handle) to completely open and all the way back again before tightening with the handle.

I have to open with handle before sliding open again, I thought that quick release was for going from completely tightened to loose without turning the main handle. I'm glad to be wrong. Because of my lack of knowledge of the area, I possibly invented a problem where there was none.

Thanks for your replies

=D>

I think it is not really a quick "release" - it is a quick action that enables the vice to be opened up or closed up quickly. Mine is like that too. I have a big metalworking vice that has a similar action too - I will check the mechanism on that later on.

It's because of the angle the screw thread is set at. When you wind the vice the threads engage with each other, providing the movement (no pressure is required to keep the half nut engaged, the thread does it itself). When you operate the quick release (it should be called a "quick shift" really) it lifts the half nut - which it can't if the threads still have tension on them. Take it apart and clean it - you'll see quickly enough how it works, they're not complicated.

Back