Pro-form flexi hollower anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a go with one at the club and it's a nice tool. Perhaps not quite as good as the Roly IMHO but certainly worth the money.

Pete

Hi Steve,

together with the handle it seems like quite an expensive alternative to a Rolly. I've got a Hamlet Little Brother which works in the same way as this. It works but the Rolly works better (at least when you compare small versions). I was going to get the big Rolly next month but I bought a lathe instead.

You may want to hold out to see the final price of the new Sorby handle and hollower (I think the handle will be cheaper but not sure about the hollower).

Dave

I have tried both the Pro form and the rolly and brought the rolly as I liked that one better. Both work very well I just prefered the rolly.

One of the advantages of the pro form is that if you also buy unhandled tools especially the prof form ones they will fit in the handle as well.

john

Hi Steve,

I tried a the pro-forme and sorby at Ally Pally this year and went for the pro-forme with the straight and heavy bend heads. I found the weight and balence better than the smaller handle but i guess this is down to personal preference... I wouldnt be without it now, i also now use the handle with some handleless gouges which have a range of grinds...propabably not a huge difference in price but I can justify buying the handleless tools to myself more easily :)

If you are in buying mode I would get a double sided diamond card to sharpen it at the same time if you dont already have one.

At 130 its a bargain IMO.

jeremy

The smaller Rolly is 132 quid. The larger is 183 quid. I'm not sure I'd just want a large hollower.

When I mention the Sorby I mean their new 'module' handles. I haven't actually seen the hollowing tool they're planning.

There was a hamlet little brother on ebay the other day which went for around 70 quid I think. Why is it whenever I'm not after something it goes cheap?

Dave

Hi all
Thanks for the comments. I`d really like to try one before splashing out but not sure if any shows displaying them nearish my neck of the woods soon (York) ??. Harrogate show is a bit long to wait.. I think the only stockist would be Phil Irons if anyone knows different it would be helpful?.BTW off to Craft Supplies at the weekend will have a look whats on offer there!.
Thanks again
Steve

For me, I really like the collet based handles. After spending the sort of money hollowing tools command, I really object to the grub screw ones that very quickly chew up the shafts.

I also have the original proforme head and really like it.

Simon

If you want to save some cash and don't mind a bit of diy - you could buy the cutter assembly (cutter + shield) for £52 and make your own shaft and handle.

I tried the tool at a club open day and quite liked it - I found it easier to cut across the inside bottom of a form compared to the Monro tool which I have.

I saw the Sorby handles at Yandles yesterday but didn't take much notice as I'm not in the market for such things at the moment.
They look to good quality as you would expect, but I can't remember the exact price :roll:

Steve

I've got the pro forme because I too was impressed by them when I saw Phil demonstrating them ... haven't mastered them by any means (yet!) ... I'm not far down the A64 in Leeds if you want another look/play?

SVB":3euckh7e said:
For me, I really like the collet based handles. After spending the sort of money hollowing tools command, I really object to the grub screw ones that very quickly chew up the shafts.
Simon

This isn't the case with the Munro hollowers because of the high grade of steel used.

gasmansteve":17qub8mv said:
Hi Chaps
looking around for hollowing gouges I came across this http://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/i ... &Itemid=99 and wondered if anyone had tried it please.
Just bought a lathe from Phil so very happy to buy from him again.
Regards
Steve

Having used this tool in my view it is good value for money when bought without the handle, even though Phil has upped the price by a fiver. :) Being on a half inch bar limits the depth you can go to but if you don't want to do vessels greater than 8 to 10 inches it's fine. When bought with the handle I'd prefer the Mini Munro which I believe is about the same price.

Another cheaper option is to just buy the Hamlet Small brother Cutter and Shield and make you own bar and handle, cost about £50 all in?

Do try any hollowing system before buying. Not every one is to everyone's liking. I know from experience :D

Hi Mark
Been watching one of Mick Hanbury`s dvds and Mick speaks highly of both the Munro and Exocet hollowers but I`ll have to ask around at the club to see if anyone has them. Will check out the Exocet on saturday at Craft supplies, not sure if any demos on so might not be able to try it :cry:
Steve

Marks suggestion about trying the hollowing tools out before buying is a valid one. I have tried a few now and wouldn't give the big brother, or the exocet a 2nd look. Not because there is anything wrong with them, just that to me they felt awkward whereas the monroe and the flexi form felt comfortable and good in the hand. Same with any tool really, Watch a video of an expert using his favourite tool and it looks perfect and easy, try it yourself and it may be a different matter. I also had a go with the cup tool that Phil Irons sells and that is also wierd but really nice to use inside and outside a bowl. Shifts wood fast and leaves a really good finish.

Pete

Ta for that Pete. We`ve got a practical evening coming up at the club next friday so I`ll hopefully be able to try a few.
Steve

Currently at a Sorby demo at Yandles.

The handles are of good quality as you would expect and feel good in my hands. They are hollow aluminium, with interchangeable collets (which can be drilled to fit custom diameters).
The tools are held in the shafts with brass tipped screws to avoid marking the shafts.
They can have a counter weight screwed into the end of the shaft. They use one of their toolposts for this :)
I'm really rather impressed with them.

Hi Pete
Any idea where to get any info on these new hollowing chisels please?. Google doesn`t come up with anything on the new ones
Ta
Steve

Latest posts

Back