Prime oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As a total newbie to buying hardwood timber, I had occasion to buy some European KD oak for a chair I plan to make. I collected the wood from a local sawmill but self select was not an option due to current regs. I didn't inspect closely but was assured this is prime oak, which I assume is QFA according to current grading. One of the lengths is pictured below and I know Custard did a brilliant blog on buying hardwood. For those who know what to expect when buying from a sawmill, would you say this sort of inclusion is permissible under grading guidelines, or have I been sold a pup? Product is 27mm sawn square edge.
20210527_135813.jpg

Looks alright.

Remember it's not plastic you're buying, but parts of a living thing.

It's now down to your skill as a woodworker to cut any small defects out to obtain the best of what looks like an excellent piece of wood.

It's unclear at this stage whether the perceived blemish is in the middle of the length of the board or toward one end. Or even if it goes right through. If there's no sign or minimal blemish on the other side, try to work it into a section that is out of sight with the better side prominent. If you can work it, you could arrange your cutting so that the part is in a tenon or something like that.

I'd be worried if the whole load had unwanted growth streaks all over it, but it's not much to be concerned about if that's all there is. That's how the tree grows. I guess that we've all got a few moles and blotchy bits!

Some years ago, I bought a load of Quartered Oak middle boards cut T&T, waney-edged, pith and all with some lovely medullary rays.
I knew that it would need careful sawing as I never use the sap wood or the middle pith of the tree. I guess that about 30% of bark and sap-wood ended up in the fire.
I'm certain that it was French Oak and a couple of the pieces had almost complete lead bullets embedded, overgrown and all - right out of sight........ the tree must have been shot when it was quite young.
The table it made is in my dining room right now and those bits of wood with the bullets are a talking point.

Bullets in Oak (2).jpg

Last edited:
OK thanks guys. Just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't being led astray. The inclusion isn't a major problem as I will be cutting it into smaller pieces and can work around that.

Once again, many thanks for the advice.

I have a lot of oak in my store. I would be quite happy with that piece and in fact prefer oak to have a bit of character. Quite often I deliberately put the knots and whorls and blemishes on the face side to add interest.

I'd be happy with that.

I get a lot of oak from my local timber yard. I've been going there for 30+ years, so I'm pretty fortunate that they let me have a free roam of the place so I can hand pick. If that piece was in the yard, I'd have no issues about buying.

Back