Starting out with rough sawn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Band saw is generally useful but limited in many ways - mainly throat size - and if used a lot costs a lot in blades - not resharpenable.
I am fairly sure I used to get my swedish steel bandsaw blades resharpened - but they are for a very big professional bandsaw and are over an inch wide.

I ended up mainly ripping planks with a Festool TS75 tracksaw, as pushing 3 or 4 metre long boards through the bandsaw was always a bit traumatic. I also found that since the cut was so straight, I actually had less waste on the planer.

I am fairly sure I used to get my swedish steel bandsaw blades resharpened - but they are for a very big professional bandsaw and are over an inch wide.

I ended up mainly ripping planks with a Festool TS75 tracksaw, as pushing 3 or 4 metre long boards through the bandsaw was always a bit traumatic. I also found that since the cut was so straight, I actually had less waste on the planer.
Mine's a Startrite 352. Biggest blade is 3/4". Some are re-sharpenable but usually past it because the set is out too.
I guess if I was dependent on it I would nurture good blades and use it very cautiously for ripping and tenons only. As it is I use it for lots of stuff including firewood.

Back