Choosing Materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have read many many posts trying to seek advice on processes and pick up tips for working with wood, and that's been great, but I am struggling to learn about which wood to choose in the first place. I have read the valuable post by Custard, and How to Choose Hardwoods but this doesn't help me at this minute.

I am a keen/competent DIY'r in the skills level, but I am keen to move from adequate to good with woodworking. I did complete a Console Making Course with Chris Tribe in Ilkley just over two years ago, and made a pretty good table from Oak. That said He did have a few templates we cut to! Anyway, I was planning on building a Children's activity centre in the garden, planning permission already applied for and granted, but with Covid and what-not, a driveway project which stalled also due to Covid and being unable to source materials after i'd dug out 32sqM of earth at 30cm deep, has meant the activity centre will have to wait until next year.

So that leaves me where I am now. I don't have any workshop 'machinery' as yet, so before doing so, I want to fit better doors to my shed. The current doors are not wearing well, but more importantly the door aperture/frame is not very good. There is slight movement in the rudimentary door frame, so I'd like to tighten it up somewhat. The doors are 'ok', but they are hung off three pieces of 2 1/2" by 3/4 inch softwood, screwed together to make a 'U' shape, the U shape goes around the 44mm T&G logs aperture acting as the door frame.

IMG_6484.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

I would like to hang the doors using proper hinges and there for need a slightly more substantial frame in the aperture to hang them from (if that makes sense). I would also look at making them close flush with the face of the shed, instead of flush with the 'architrave'? This will probably have the result of narrowing the doorway, but I can manage to loose a couple of inches. With respect to the doors, I would probably re-condition and narrow them.

So, the question is, what kind of timber do I use? It will be painted, so it doesn't need to be treaded. Most stuff I see in B&Q is rounded, and that wouldn't do. Also, Any suggestions on how best to do the door frame?

I also need suggested material for window frames for the children's activity centre, as I can start doing small pieces in readiness for the full build next year. So, what would I use for window frames? They will be housed in a 3"x2" stud wall, with a visible glass area of 30cm x 40cm.

I have been lurking here for a few months, and am in awe of what people achieve. The WIP posts are fabulous, and I hope to carry out a similar WIP build post on here.

Cheers,

Are the doors thick enough to take butt hinges?
The doors are about 1 1/4" thick, but I am not adverse to making mew doors, I think I could do that competently, but again - what wood would I use? Just any old PAR stuff?

Back