What grade of oak do you use most?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":ydm4273b said:
Chip shop":ydm4273b said:
a bit case hardened in the kiln
For the past few years I've heard a growing chorus of complaints from UK furniture makers regarding the quality of their Oak. It seems that as price competition intensifies many people in the supply chain are starting to cut corners.

At the moment all the oak I have access to is air dried. About 18 months minimum which brings it down to about 10% MC depending on where it has been dried. This can be reduced down to 8% if needed.

Do people generally prefer natural air dried or is good kiln drying? I'm sure there must be some differences between them but I'm kind of new to this!!

The ex VAT price of rough sawn Oak should be around £60 per cubic foot, obviously cheaper if you buy it by the boatload but for most people this is roughly what you'll pay for decent quality Oak. I'll happily pay £80 a cube for genuinely first grade, furniture quality boards. If you're a furniture maker bitter experience has taught you to put quality above price, if you're a hobbyist I'd suggest you do likewise. Air dried or kilned doesn't seem to affect prices much, I've seen both at a small premium to the other.

If you want fence post grade Oak then you can get it for £30-40, but forget about using that for furniture as it'll have pith inclusions, thunder shakes, and all sorts of problems. I understand that the guys doing Oak framed construction are actually paying a little less than this as the delivered price for wet, squared French Oak timbers.

Don't get caught out by thinking you'll be getting a bargain paying £25 a cube for American Red Oak. You're getting exactly what you pay for, ugly wood that neither finishes nor works well but at a knock down price!

You currently pay a 10-20% premium for pippy Oak, a 15-25% premium for quarter sawn, and a 10-15% premium for thicker boards of 75mm plus (they take longer to kiln).

Over and above regular Oak you get really premium stuff like Brown Oak or Tiger Oak. There's never a standard price for these and in any event you'd want to inspect each board individually, but as a rule of thumb I'll normally pay £100-120 per cube ex VAT for Brown Oak.

So I'm puzzled at the quoted Robbins price of £170. All I can think is it's a typo or it's for something processed/machined like for example T&G Oak boards?

Thank you Custard, that is really good information, I really mean it :)

I'm on my phone right now so can't reply properly, but with regards to Robins Timber, as an example of rough sawn Euro Oak for a 50mm x 150mm board of 1m length the price (without VAT) is £44.88, so per cubic foot that is about £169. That was how I had calculated my cost, unless I was doing something very stupid!!

www.robbins.co.uk/pdf/retail_pricelist.pdf

Back